We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats is a "Hob"

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whats is a "Hob"

A detailed description of the villa we are occuping next month list a Hob in the kitchen. I have never heard of such a thing and the only definition I can find is" an insert in the fireplace to keep items warm". I don"t beleive we have a fireplace in the villas at South Ocean in Hastings !!...anyone have a different explanation?..Laurie

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

Thats the cooker top -with the rings for cooking !!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

it's the stove...as opposed to the oven (but it will have one) LOL

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

A gas / electric / induction hob will be the burners or rings (4- 7).....in a unit ..separated from the oven

Most commonly the hob will be set into the worksurface ...whereas the oven may be below the worksurface or mounted in a cabinet so that it is at eye level

Edited: 17 March 2010, 07:14
World
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

...the front half of a 'bit'.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

Thanks everyone...have never heard a counter top stove called a Hob....my lesson for today...Laurie

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

I'm intrigued - what do you call it in Canada?

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

....I guess it is a 'counter to stove'....???

YYC
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

Counter top stove.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

Its strange how people use different words in different countries for the same thing, in the UK we dont really use the word stove anymore its more a word for an Aga type cooker, my nan used to have a cooker with a solid warming plate that was rectangle in shape that was called the stove. Its probably even different in the North & South of the UK.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats is a "Hob"

We just call the whole thing a stove, the stove top has burners, you open the door and the oven is inside. It is interesting, the first time we went to Barbados I had to ask a friend what a hob was....different words for the same thing, and we all cook food on it or in it....take care,Peggy