We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower forrest

toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Flower forrest

I've heard this is a place of interest has anyone been there within the last couple of years and how far is it from The Crane? How difficult is it to get a room with a real view of the ocean not just a sliver? Should I request a certain floor / building ? Also is it terribly expensive for food and drinks at The Crane (CDN $) ,will probably take the breakfast meal plan since it looks as though that is all they offer.

Your helpfull hints are greatly appreciated : )

freckles51

St. Nicholas Abbey
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Distilleries
Foursquare Distillery
Historic Sites, History Museums, Distilleries
Tiki Bar
Other Food & Drink
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower forrest

Everything is far from the Crane (except the airport!) about 30 minutes by car if you know the area.

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower forrest

Here we go yet again nothing if far from the crane barbados is only 24 mls x 16 mls and you can go cross country you see orchid world , harrison cave ,andromeda gardens all in one day and even take in the view of bathsheba & cattlewash , its all about planning just divide the island in two halves & spend the rest of your stay soaking up the suns rays we have booked with www.barbadossun .co.uk and thats how we will spend our week has not failed us yet .

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower forrest

Although the island is small, due to traffic in recent years, and small inner island roads, it does take a long time to get from the Crane to most places. About 30 minutes to the Gap area on the south coast where there is night life and lots of restaurants. To get to the west coast plan on a good hour from the Crane.

We have been to the Flower Forest many times since it opened. The last time we went was 2 years ago and we were a bit disappointed. Hardly anything was blooming (in a season when it should have been). When I asked the staff they said they even had to import flowering orchids that year so that the visitors would not be disappointed. If things are blooming it is gorgeous there.

You might also enjoy visiting Hunte's Gardens -- a gully that has been magically transformed with all sorts of plants/flowers, etc. A real horticulturalist dream. Anthony gives a great tour of his gardens.

Another nice garden we visited 2 years back was Andromeda -- there are 2 different trails you can take within the gardens. We really enjoyed it.

Flower Forest is nice, but not many flowers there -- more a great display of plants, lots of ginger, and great views from the property.

Lois

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flower forrest

I made a mistake in my previous note. You were talking about Flower Forest (I did make comments at the very end about that), but I was mistakenly talking about Orchid World in my first comments. Just wanted to clarify that.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flower forrest

We visited Flower Forest last year and travelled from The Crane. Despite what has been said about the size of Barbados it can take a long time to get there because it is very easy to get lost. What appears to be the shortest distance is not always that. If you get it right first time 30/40 mins should do it. In my opinion FF is pretty ordinary however we were there in July so that may be off season. The plus is that it is at Bathsheba so it is worth going there anyway. From there you can drive further up the coast which is very nice.

Re your question on Ocean View rooms at The Crane it is quite simple. If described as ocean view it is exactly that. If garden room you may be lucky and get an ocean view as a bonus . The restaurants are not cheap but restaurants are in general expensive in Barbados. Drinks, fill your fridge with beer, rum etc and that will keep the price down. The first time we visted we were on a meal plan which included dinner & breakfast and we were able to eat at either restaurant. Cooking facilities are excellent however so you may want to just have breakfast in your room. Toast, coffee, fresh fruit on the balcony, very nice! You can also cook evening meals in the room and eat in the 3 restaurants on other evenings. Cheapest night out, take the shuttle to Oistens.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
645 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flower forrest

I think Dunnedg is referring to Andromeda Gardens which is located close to Bathsheba. Flower Forest is in the centre of the island, quite close to Orchid World.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flower forrest

Andromeda is lovely. We were there and there are 2 different paths you can take through the gardens. It's a nice choice.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flower forrest

My choice for a 'garden' visit would be Hunte's Gardens Antony was just the best host. Garden built in a sink hole with classical music playing. Rum punch in the stables overlooking the gardens. These stables have been converted into his house and it is beautiful. If you just want to visit one garden visit this one.

9. Re: Flower forrest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 06:40