We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

ontario
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

Hi, I will be in Barbados for a week in the summer and contemplating whether to rent a car for the day to see the island or rent a taxi for the day (or part of a day) with an islander than can show me the highlights of the island? Does anyone know how much either option would be and make any recommendations?

Thanks alot

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

I know that Stoutes cars has great cars/service and they can rent you one for a day. Contact them at: ann@stoutescar.com to inquire.

Or you can take a day tour with Sarah from Glory Tours -- she gives great personalized service.

You can find information for both on my tips site:

www.barbadostips.com

(look under transportation)

Probably you can plan on spending $30 US/hour with a private taxi tour. I think car rental might be less costly, but then you can get lost.

And I do know Sarah gives great tours.

Wirral
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

We did both of these options earlier this month as we were combining a stay in Barbados with a cruise. We had to leave the ship at 8.30am and our flight home was at 8pm, so before we left the UK, OH went online to a car hire website and booked a hire car. You can get a quote for this online for the time you will be in Barbados. We picked up the car from Stoutes at 8.10am from the cruise terminal, used it for the day, then returned it to the airport at 6pm. Stoutes provided full CDW and a full tank of petrol so we didn't need to worry about any previous marks on the car, or about filling it up. We had somewhere to keep our luggage, and an extra days holiday exploring Barbados. We had researched where we wanted to go before we picked up the car, OH loves driving, and we are used to driving on the LHS of the road in the UK, so this option worked well for us.

The previous week we were checking out of our hotel and joining the ship, which was sailing at 11.59pm. We were considering hiring a car, but we met a taxi driver who offered to give us a full day's tour of the island for $100US. We asked him to pick us up at 10.30am so that we had time to pack and have a leisurely breakfast. We told him what we wanted to see, and he took us to our choices, starting with St Nicholas Abbey. He waited while we visited, then took us to our next choice. He told us a bit about the island, and stopped at one or two places we'd have missed. He then dropped us at the cruise terminal just after 4.30pm at our request. He would have taken us out for longer if we'd wanted him too for the same fee as that was his whole day rate, but we wanted a late start and an early finish.

The taxi driver cost us half as much again as the hire car, but it did mean that OH could relax, and also enjoy a beer or two with lunch. He knew his way around the island and gave us some advice for when we were driving later. We negotiated the price with him when he was driving us back from Oistins. PM me if you want details, I should be able to find his card, but there are plenty of taxi drivers who are looking for work. Having the hire car gave us lots of freedom to go where we wanted, but OH was very happy to be driving and we'd seen a bit of the island by taxi and bus so we felt confident. I'd recommend either option, but I quite liked being on our own and we'd no trouble parking anywhere. We also saved the cost of a taxi to the airport by dropping the car there, so the hire car was very good value for us, but so was the taxi tour as we had the driver.

Hope this helps.

Wirral
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

To correct my post above, OH has pointed out that we had to pay for the petrol in the tank, and the CDW, and a tourist's driving licence, so the car hire worked out almost exactly the same as the taxi and driver.

4. Re: Car rental for a day or taxi tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18