We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

life guards at Dover Beach

Yorkshire Dales...
8 posts
Save Topic
life guards at Dover Beach

I have just returned from my annual month in Barbados 28thFeb to

28thMarch 2010.I was somewhat dismayed this year at the lack of life guards or late arrival at Dover Beach.This beach can be very dangerous for swimmers and during my stay the seas were extremely rough.Early morning bathing is the norm and 6am is my usual walk along this lovely area.But on one occassion no life guards arrived before 10am.Please dont wait for a tradgedy to happen before they arrive on station.

Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

I didn't see any life guards at all when I was on dover Beach last year in April. But I would like to know: who do the lounge chairs belong to? The black guys there hang around as if they are in charge of the lounge chairs, and then we feel like we HAVE to pay them to get one.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

I've always seen lifeguards on Dover Beach, usually two or three of them and they seem pretty switched on - I don't know what time they start though as I'm not usually up and about that early!

Katgirl - some of the beach chairs belong to Divi Southwinds/Southern Palms/Time Out hotels and are for their guests. The other chairs are for public hire, so yes, you do have to pay for them. The guys you mention that "hang around" are employed by the owners of the chairs to rent the chairs/umbrellas to anyone that would like one.

Toronto
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

The beach chairs directly on Dover Beach by the new Sapphire Condos mostly belong to Charle's Watersports and can be rented at a reasonable price for the day. As for the lifeguards, how could you expect them to start their very long day before 10:00 AM, they are paid by government, I think they do a great job, I have been coming to Dover Beach for many years. My only concern, which I understand was addressed last year, by employing Security Guards 7 days a week, was a guy who goes by the nickname "Cowboy", (always wears a cowboy hat), who harrasses people to ride on his catamaran. The police have been notified many times, he has a long complaint record, and has been known to physically attack some women, if he didn't get the business.

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

Tiger owns and rents the chairs out from the stacks to your left as you arrive on dover beach from the shopping/snack bars area. He, and his boys, are very polite and helpful and give a very good rate. He will even do a monthly deal for you and have the chairs ready for you in 'your spot' every day for your arrival.

Life guards are pretty much on the ball. Found them to be very vigilant during the rough conditions in Jan/Feb this year. They were actively telling people to get out of the water at the divi end of the beach, when the red flags were up.

mlsocialit
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

I also found the life guards very attentive in January. I was hanging out on the beach almost three days straight. The waters were choppy at that time we suspected it may have been from the quake off Haiti nonetheless we had a few good days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

>>The black guys there hang around as if they are in charge of the lounge chairs, and then we feel like we HAVE to pay them to get one.<<

I've never been anywhere in Barbados where one gets the use of a free lounge chair. (Perhaps there is a place where a kind vendor provides free lounge chairs on the beach out of the goodness of his own heart, but I have never met him.) Either you pay for the use of a lounge chair or it's use is amenity of your hotel stay -- and therefore built into the cost of your nightly rate.

BB

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

BB - there are places like Bar Kan'ei on Rockley beach that let you have free chairs if you use their bar.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

Tiger hires the loungers to the left of Dover and Charles just to to the right before Southern Palms.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

>>BB - there are places like Bar Kan'ei on Rockley beach that let you have free chairs if you use their bar.<<

Thanks kirimist, sounds like a place where I'd like to stop and have a drink, but most bars offer you a chair of some kind when you purchase a drink. I think that the the cost of providing these lounge chairs are supported from the sales revenue from the bar and therefore "built into" the cost of a drink. The point I'm trying to make is that you pay one way or another. These charis aren't free, so you HAVE to pay a vendor for the use of these chairs one way or another.

Cheers!

BB

Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: life guards at Dover Beach

Well, it was my first time there, so I wasn't sure how it worked. So now I'm wondering how much to pay for a lounge chair? I am coming from the end closer to Southern Palms, closer to Rostrevor actually. It is in front of a snack place, not in front of a hotel. Is it a set rate mostly? How much is it per day? But actually I would probably only stay on one for 2hrs. How much would that cost roughly? Also, how do they react to some bargaining?

Thanks for any info.