We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK air space open from tomorrow

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
UK air space open from tomorrow

Lets hope it all gets back to normal as quickly as possible.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

Good news at last! Lets hope it remains that way for the weekend!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

We really need the gulf stream to come back and blow the ash north and keep it away.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

It also looks like they may allow 24 hour operation at UK airports to help with the backlog.

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

yeah been glued to sky news most of day as due to fly out week on sunday, they announced that airports to re open 2moro, but then was another announcement that the volcano had started errupting again!!!! so may well be a short lived thing, have to wait and see.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

Yes .... cautious optimism I think!

UK airspace from a line north of Blackpool to Teeside should open at 7am tomorrow with hopes of more airspace south of that line later in the day.

Fingers crossed all round - hope those of you stranded out there are managing to hang in there!

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

does anyone know what planes are on the tarmac in BGI??? wondering if there are any planes out there to bring people home or if they have to wait for virgin and BA to fly out?? i guess the people due to fly home on the day the planes can fly will get preference, and the people from cancelled flights over the last few days will take up the empty seats, shouldnt take too long to clear cos i know there are generally quite few empty seats on the barbados flights as ba and virgin both fly daily

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

from a pilot friend of mine, I've been told that Virgin, BA and Thomson.. not sure who else (sorry can't remember who else he said).

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

well in that case wonder if they will leave tonight to arrive back in UK to coincide with the reopening of airports??? or will they wait and fly to there schedule tomorrow eve????

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

'Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who has been ensnarled in this.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK air space open from tomorrow

They may well NOT take off tonight from BIM because a) Manchester isn't opening until 9am and the London airports later than that (suppose they could fly to Glasgow though and then coach??) and b) the wind tomorrow here is a NW one so we could still have more ash cloud and they may close the airspace again - I guess Virgin, BA etc wouldn't want to set off on an 8 hour flight if there's some doubt about landing in the UK. Will post if any more info becomes available.