We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding where to vacation

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Deciding where to vacation

My wife and I are trying to decide where to head for vacation this year in early June. We really just want a beautiful spot to sit on a beach relaxing all day, good restaurants, and a little nightlife. We'd like to stay at a small boutique hotel, villa, or B&B on the beach (absolute max to spend is $400/night). We think we've narrowed it down to Antigua, Barbardos, Bermuda, Virgin Gorda, or our old standby Aruba (where we have been numerous times). Any advice on which island and/or specific places to stay? Other notables -- not too buggy (especially mosquitoes) and not too crowded (we are definitely not the type to get up early to reserve a chair on the beach). Thanks for the advice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding where to vacation

I have visited Antigua, Bermuda and Barbados. I've spent the least amount of time in Antigua. I can tell you that the island is very friendly, tropical and has great beaches. I've heard travelers complain that in Antigua there's "nothing to do" outside of beach and resort activities.

I've visited Bermuda every year for the past three years. Bermuda is very clean and the people are exceedingly warm and friendly. The archipelago's caves are quite interesting and the beaches are lovely. I also know a few golfers who like playing in Bermuda. Bermuda has nightlife in Hamilton, but it is a bit limited, IMO. There are a few fine restaurants and two high-end clubs and some performances at a couple of hotels in Hamilton. Bermuda is not in the tropics though. So it's best to visit in the summer months if you want to hit the beach. Bermuda has a very refined charm and is one of the wealthier places to visit. Food and transportation are be expensive and the island is very small 21 sq miles!

It think that what's great about Barbados is that it has diversity and a little of everything. There are stretches of white sand beach on south and west coast. There are cliffs and rugged coast line in the north and the East and lots of verdure, wetland, and a cave in the middle. Barbados also has great choices for fine dining and moderate dining and there is ample night life in St. Lawrence Gap. I've heard golfer rave about Barbados. Barbadians have a distinct culture that's a mix of West African and English customs and unlike some place, tourists feel safe venturing out freely in Barbados. I suggest that while you're there that you take a one-day tour. I doubt that you can get bored here, but obviously, though, I am biased. :-)

Obviously I haven't discussed water-sports: snorkeling, sailing and diving. I know that there are options in all three places, but being a landlubber, I can't compare the three experiences.

Enjoy your holiday!

BB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding where to vacation

By the way, the "Antigua vs. Barbados" question pops up every now and then on this forum. So, you may want conduct a search in the Barbados forum for a discussion on this topic.

BB

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding where to vacation

Hi sunboy u sound a bit like myself i booked 2weeks b4 theash came, in a private appt with www.barbadossun.co.uk also on flipkey very relaxing just dont want to go home, i hope u find what u want .

Edited: 02 May 2010, 00:36
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding where to vacation

Thanks for the advice. We just booked our flight to Barbados and are really looking forward to our first visit to the island. Now we just have to figure out where to stay ... west side or south side. We are on the fence. Have seen lots of discussion on this topic. Seems like west side has narrower beaches, calmer waters, and better restaurants while south side has wider beaches and has more nightlife. Other key differences? Any differences in how busy the beaches would be in early June?

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding where to vacation

Your assessment of the differences on the coasts is correct.

On the south coast you might want to look at Little Arches (a 10 room boutique hotel near Oistins and opposite the gorgeous Miami/Enterprise Beach), or perhaps Coral Sands (self catering).

St Lawrence Gap is the main area for nightlife on the south coast, and Holetown on the West.

6. Re: Deciding where to vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:16