We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and Ships

We will be visiting Barbados this summer and look forward to touring the whole island. We would like to visit Bridgetown on a day when no cruise ships are docked there. Does anyone have a link to a schedule that shows all cruise ship docking dates in Bridgetown?

We enjoy shopping for local goods and clothing, not the touristy things you can by anywhere. Any tips on special stores in Bridgetown or throughout the island would be gratefully received.

We will be staying on the south coast and plan to self cater most of our meals. Therefore any recommendations for grocery stores, bakeries or other specialty food stores, markets, or good cheap restaurants would be great!

Thanks so much for your help.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Ships

www.barbadosport.com/index.php…

The above link is for the Barbados Port Authority. You will have to check through it to see if they have the dates you will be here.

As a local (but also a born foreigner) I can't say there is alot that you will find in the way of unique items made in Barbados. I'm referring mainly to clothing. There are a few batik items in various locations as well as designers with shops, around the Bridgetown area. but much of what you will find here, is imported from the US, England, Central America etc. (someone can scream at me know if I'm totally wrong, but after 18 years I'm pretty sure I am aware of what is here). You will find locally made beach dresses and wraps etc.

Medford Mahogany has some beautiful wood carvings made from Mahogany trees and Earthworks pottery is world renowned for it's unique pottery and glaze colours. There are other potteries that you will find around Barbados as well.

put some of what you are looking for into the search area here and you should also be able to fine much more information and have a look at the things to do and travel guide section as well.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and Ships

As Sunnie has said there are several really nice potteries in Barbados.

As for cheap eating places there are many. Barbecue Barn, Chefette & Just Grillin are very good for cheap meals. You can get a loyalty card in Just Grillin, when your card is full you get one free meal of your choice. Another favourite of ours is Shakers which is tucked out of the way but worth finding.

If you go into Bridgetown you can eat lunch in Cave Shepherd very cheaply.

Alo the supermarket Big B's sell hot food on their deli counters. If you wanted to cook their are lots of places to buy fresh fish. You certainly do not have to pay a fortune to eat in Barbados!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and Ships

Hi KTCO,

Regarding a local crafts market, I think that most of the souvenirs that you find in Barbados in stores and vendors stalls are items that are mass produced items that are stamped "Barbados." I believe that Pelican Village, which is just on the northern cusp of Bridgetown, specializes in locally made crafts. Here is their website: www.barbados.org/pelican_village_shops.htm You may want to try your luck there. Some local Rastafarians have stalls with great (and very durable) sandals on sale for men and women. There's a stall near the Cheapside Market which is, again, in the northern part of Bridgetown. Earthworks Pottery provides locally made items. I think that a real indigenous craft market is something that is truly missing from Barbados. If you don't mind settling for something that isn't "hand made" you can check out Cave Shepherd in Bridgetown where you may purchase hot sauces, spices, rum as well as photographs and books about Barbadian history and culture.

Regarding food, this link will take you to a recent discussion on this forum on inexpensive eating in Barbados: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147266-i289-k3140…

I also suggest that you look in on a place called MarketFive by John Hazzard while in Bridgetown. You may them in the Satjay Bridgetown Centre, Victoria Street and purchase a moderate-to-inexpensively-priced gourmet lunch.

Enjoy your stay in Bim!

BB

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping and Ships

Thank you all very much for you advice! We are all starting to get excited about our trip.

5. Re: Shopping and Ships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:16