We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Hi Everyone, I have been looking at all the fourms over the last couple of days and i have a few questions:

We are planning a trip for 2 weeks in Oct. 2010 and we are attending a wedding for the 1st week - staying onsite at the hotel that its at for the first week.

Then we are moving to the Hilton resort Barbados at Needlemans Point. This is just to keep the expenses to a minimum and I like changes of senery.

I have looked at all sorts of reviews, and they are all over the place. Some say it has Good food then others say its bad food, some tell of great rooms and views and others tell of bad rooms, some say its an amzing location others tell of a bad location.

What i need to know, that as well seasoned travelers, we have stayed in all sorts of accomodation. I usually like a really nice 4 star that will deliver breakfast to my room with a good view will this place do the trick for one week.??

Entertainment:

We are are a hard working married couple with no kids yet so we like to have a couple of late nights (- going to the local bar or restaurant to hang and have a couple of drinks) while we are on vacation. Are there places to take a cab to or walk to from this location.

Boardwalk:

I have heard people mention the boardwalk, where is this located? is it close tot he hotel or connected to the hotel? what is loacted on the boardwalk?

Food:

my husband is a meat and potatoes type of guy - -being from NY, i am definitely more adventurous. we dont need expensive fru fru food, but we need good food. and we dont mind paying for good food. any must go to places?

Sailing:

my husband loves to sail - -where can i arrange a charter for 2 or 3 day trips?

Car Rental:

what is he best place to rent a car from? we want a 4 seater suv. I love being up high and like to look around - -my husband drives stick. and i think i want it to have ac.

Thats if for now, thanks in advance for all your advice.

-L

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Hi,

I will try to answer some of your questions.

Where will you be staying for the wedding?

The Hilton is a typical Hilton you'd find anywhere. Needhams Point is set back from the main road. Beach there is ok, but better beach can be found around the corner on the main road at Carlisle Bay (Browne's Beach). I have toured it but not stayed there so cannot comment on the food.

For entertainment you probably will want a taxi to St. Lawrence Gap area where you will find some nightlife. You can also go for drinks at Champers on their balcony -- lovely setting. Also a great restaurant I would highly recommend. It's not too far from the Hilton. You will need a taxi, or car to get to most places from the Hilton.

Regarding cars, rent from Stoutes - they have a location at the airport (so you would save on taxi's to and from the airport) - you can pick up and drop off the car right there (no additional charges to do this). If you check out my tips at: www.barbadostips.com and look under transportation you can read about them and also get a discount.

The South Coast Boardwalk stretches from Accra Beach for about half mile towards Bridgetown. It is frequented by visitors and locals -- great place to get some exercise. Nice restaurant on the boardwalk is Tapas for a drink/tapas or a meal.

In my tips I give lots of restaurant info with pictures, so check it out.

Lois

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

I have only only 'toured' the hotel and did not like it at all ... big concrete lump with plenty of conference meetings & delegates around

Beach can at times be windy and a little 'rough'

..IMHO ...not at all a typical 'tropical ' island hotel ... very impersonal ...could be in any part of the world

There have been a number of reports on here that the food is not that good|

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

I wouldn't stay at the Hilton unless I was using my Hilton Points to stay there. Like the PP mentioned, it is really just a concrete block with no caribbean charm or personality. Quite honestly, I would look at other options...maybe something closer to St. Lawrence Gap where all the action is. I'm a huge fan of Southern Palms, but there are plenty of other hotels that you'd be happy with as well.

Is there any particular reason you are thinking of the Hilton?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

We often stay at Hilton properties and use points. As we are one of their top tier members we got a great view of the beach from our hotel room. If you are paying for your room, it would be more expensive than one without a view. I like to stay at boutique hotels so not crazy about the large size of the Hilton, but having said that i liked the rooms of the hotel. They were roomy, nicely furnished, nice bathrooms and housekeeping was excellent. Sheets, towels, bathrobes etc were of high quality.

The pool is quite large, two in fact, and kind of meanders around the property. There is also a small hot tub. Lots of lounge chairs.

Beach is quite good but it can get quite windy as it's out on a point. I believe it's a man made beach but you wouldn't know it. Too windy for me at times but many loved it and body surfing in the waves. Other times it's not so windy, just depends on the weather.

It's a big hotel so that I didn't like but it's not bad for value for money. Food is not that great. It really is over priced and more along the lines of a higher end chain restaurant. I would opt to eat out. Restaurants are expensive, but since the food is expensive at the hotel, might as well head out by taxi and eat somewhere with good food.

I would rent a car through the hotel, they can organize it for you. You probably don't want it for the whole stay so can organize this with the hotel a day or so before you intend to explore the island. The car rental people will come to the hotel.

Re breakfast, we had it included in our stay as Hilton members in the members lounge area and it was pretty basic. I'm sure the restaurant or room service will be better.

Lots of restaurants to choose from, my favourite being Tides but it is a bit of a taxi ride and located on the west coast.

There is a company on site called Barbados Blue and would not use them for day trips or snorkeling. They are unreliable and will cancel your trip last minute if they don't have enough people, and this happens all the time. Again ask the hotel for alternative but certainly avoid Barbados Blue.

Just be aware it's a big hotel. I wouldn't stay here again because it felt impersonal but many people seem to enjoy it, just depends of preference.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 14:33
Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your responces. I just to follow up with some answers to your questions

To LoisInsiderTips:

We are staying at Little Arches for the wedding. I am actually looking forward to it. Since its about 5 hours by plane from NY we wanted to extend out time in barbados being first time visitors. I was able to get am amazing discounted rate at Hilton so that is the reason for the choice.

I do enjoy Hiltons in the US

How far is The Gap from the hotel? how much would a cab be to go back and forth.

Also where is chanpers in relation to the hotel?

can we walk to the boardwalk from the hotel?

Thanks for the car rental tip - -i will look into the rates there and your link is great. I have already taken a quick peek - -but i will explore it more. :)

Gingercanada

So its a larger hotel and i dnt think it would be my normal pick for a tropical place, but We are getting a great rate at the hotel and that is the reason for the choice. it is allowing us to stay there for the additional week. Turning the trip for the wedding into a vacation for us.

So I guess we will be dining outside of the hotel for the most part of our stay. I really enjoy a pot of coffee in the monrings with just a muffin and i am sure that roomservice will be fine for that.

I am going to see if i can get upgraded to the executive level.

thanks again for everyones help - now all i need is a list of restaurants and we are all set.

:)

--L

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

You'll have a good time. Hilton wasn't my first pick either but hard to turn down a discounted rate/or points for free nights.

There is a restaurant nearby called Aqua that closed down and was taken over by a tapas restaurant. Can't remember the name but it gets good reviews. Tides in my opinion is one of the best restaurants on the west coast, perhaps a $20 cab ride one way.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

I think you will enjoy the boutique rooms at Little Arches.

You will definitely need a taxi from the Hilton to the Gap -- probably a $10 US ride. It's about 4 miles I think.

Champers is out on the main road a bit to the east of the Hilton - not far, but taxi there as well. This is one of our favorites, as is The Tides - a longer taxi ride to the west coast (1/2 way up that coast), but well worthwhile.

I cannot remember how far the boardwalk (which starts at Accra Beach) is from your hotel. The restaurant there that used to be Aqua, is now called Tapas & has that type of food plus regular meals. It's right on the boardwalk. Across the street from Accra Beach is "Just Grillin" - great grilled sea food, chicken and burgers - very casual - eat outside on picnic tables, but very good.

The restaurant at Little Arches is great too.

Glad you liked my tips. Hopefully as a first-timer they will be extremely helpful.

Lois

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Cab ride from the Hilton to the Gap is BDS $25. I paid that twice in the last week.

I did not stay in the hotel but enjoyed their daily happy hours from 5 to 6 by the Water's Edge pool bar. The pool, the bar and the adjacent beach sets up a lovely setting.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

You could easily hop on a ZR van and get to the likes of Champers or the Gap for $1.50.bds. I think you will enjoy the Hilton and it is not far from those places or Bridgetown.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honest opinions about Hilton resort needed..&other questions

Thanks for the up date on the cab fare - -so 25 BDS is that about $12 dollars US? is that for 1 person or 2?

also can you tell me more about the ZR van?

also how easy is it to get cabs at the end of the night? we would mostlikely not stay out past 11 or 12 pm.