We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cool runnings or calabaza

essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cool runnings or calabaza

does anyone have experience of both sailing companies so I can make a choice cool runnings looks fun but calabaza looks uncrowded

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

The Stiletto comes to your beach Momo and does lovely uncrowded Turtle cruises and Sunset cruises incorporating the turtles away from all the other Catamarans. because it can sail much further up the West coast than the Bridgetown based Cats. It also does the Mango Bay freebie twice a week and one of the crew members lives where you are staying-----------------ideal !

However if you want a good party atmosphere try El Tigre which is a member of the same family but based in Bridgetown .

Edited: 12 May 2010, 11:51
essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

Hi Julia, thanks for your advice, what is the Mango Bay freebie - M

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

The Hotel next door is an All Inclusive and they use the Stiletto for their free turtle trip ---------- lucky things.. The private cruises are however much less full though, which I personally prefer.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

We did Cool Runnings twice now and it was great! The staff are wonderful and very helpful, it was not too crowded, lots of room to move about, the lunch is quite tasty and the alcohol flows freely. Plus, you get to see lots of amazing turtles...we highly recommend it. Sorry we haven't been on Calabaza. Have fun whichever you choose...Peggy

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

I would agree with Susie. Cool Runnings is brilliant, good food, plenty to eat, not overcrowded & the guys are very attentive, especially if you are not a good swimmer. They certainly make it a fun exciting day out.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

I totally agree about CoolRunnings, we have gone with them for many years often twice per trip, never had a bad trip yet, lovely guys! They aren't crowded as the others have said yet have a great atmosphere. Will certainly choose them again next time we go!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

Cool Runnings is indeed a lovely trip though I found it rather regimented an "organised" Stiletto is a much more relaxed proper sail and you see much more of the coast as I said away from the Bridgetown Catamaran and the crowds. Nothing can beat sailing down the West Coast at Sunset sipping Champagne and arriving at your own beach at the foot of your garden steps. It all depends what youare looking for.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

Cool Runnings for me - the crew were superb, atmosphere was great and they were very professional, made sure we all had life jackets on before we were allowed into the ocean. Very relaxed and comfortable, the food and drink was good also. Can't recommend them highly enough.

California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

Hi Momo,

I'm coming to Barbados now for the last 15 years, sometimes twice a year and I have been on most of the Catamaran cruises and yes all of them doing a good job, but if you want to have the very best of the best cruise in Barbados, than you have to book with CALABAZA CRUISES, because it is simply the very best!

Enjoy your trip to Barbados!

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cool runnings or calabaza

When we went on Cool Runnings it was VERY crowded because of a "wristband" crew from one of the local AI's - this was part of their tour package. That said, everything was well organized and well done; we had a good time. Before booking Cool Runnings again, however, I would doublecheck to make sure that there are not going to be any package tour(ist)s aboard.