We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

Hi:

Will be at The Crane next month. I've been traveling a lot lately (really need to change my username), one problem I've found is a lack of shade on the beaches I've been to. Sometimes the palapas are taken too early in the morning or there is no shade/trees at all. So I purchased a beach shelter from Canadian Tire - you can copy and paste this link to see it:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/ShadesandShelters/PRD~0765171P/Coleman%252BUV%252BGuard%252BBeach%252BShade.jsp?locale=en

Do you think I need to take this with me for the beach at the Crane? It looks as though there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas but I'm not sure how quickly the umbrellas are taken in the morning. The person I'm travelling with tends to burn easily so I want to ensure we have some shade on the beach. That being said, the beach shelter takes up a fair amount of room in the suitcase so I don't want to bring it if it's not necessary.

Any help from people that have been there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Mentioned in this post
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
2,775 Reviews
Barbados
warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

Hi as i dont think you need this sun shade, they r plenty of chairs and umbrellas to go around plus further back from the beach their is plenty of shade under the coconut palms, plus 1.5 acre of cascading pools with plenty of shade i would suggest plenty of factor 30+ for you companion just enjoy long live life .

Edited: 13 May 2010, 12:38
New York
Level Contributor
615 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

There are always plenty of umbrellas and chairs at the beach at The Crane, even if you don't go out until the afternoon. Actually, at the pools there is a shortage of chairs in the shade, so if you want shade at the pools, go out early and leave your beach towel and a book on the chairs. We were there in Feb./March this year and the sun was a lot stronger than the last few years. We brought SPF30 and ended up needing to buy SPF50 there, because it was so strong and neither of us normally burn, but this year was different.

Mentioned in this post
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
2,775 Reviews
Barbados
VIRGINIA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

NYSbeachgirl,

I normally agree with you, but I hope that awful habit of reserving chairs never starts at the Crane. People at the Crane usually move around from pool to pool to beach, and take their towels etc with them. For one thing they charge $40 US per towel if you don't turn it back in. There are multiple sources of shade at the pools, but sometimes you don't get the one you want. Usually if you wait a few minutes, someone will get up, and leave, and you can move to a better spot.

I have personally (but very rarely) pushed towels off chairs when they had been vacant for a very long time, and it was obvious the owners were no where around.

It would be really counter productiive for everyone if that AWFUL HABIT started, and I hope it never does.

Machone

Mentioned in this post
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
2,775 Reviews
Barbados
New York
Level Contributor
615 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

Machone - I am surprised you didn't see it this trip. This year we noticed that people were leaving their towels on chairs in the shade very early in the morning. If you went out at 10:00 all the shade chairs were "taken". We noticed people, who put their towels on the shade chairs, and then went and sat on chairs in the sun until about 3:00 and then moved to the shade chairs they had reserved in the morning. I agree with you that this is an awful practice. The towel fee didn't seem to solve this problem, athough people do now return their towels at the end of the day instead of leaving them for someone else to clean up.

Level Contributor
293 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

I too agree that people seem to move around and we never had a problem with finding a chair anywhere (for 4 people!).

The umbrallas at the beach are set between every chair and they are great.

I too was there in April and was surprised at how strong the sun was. Our problem was that we were all boogie boarding in the ocean and the sun screen just washed off so fast. We all got burnt the first day. I also found the spray on sunscreen to be useless compared to the cream lotion.

Highland Village...
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

Hi, I was there in March, there's actual more available shade on the beach than at the pools, due to the fact that there are umbrellas at the beach and nowhere else. At the large pool complex, there are a few pergola areas for shade but I found those to be taken early in the morning and rarely available. At the historic pool, which was my favorite place to hang due to the peace and quiet and wonderful view, there's basically no shade at all. It would be greatly improved by a few umbrellas. I mentioned this to the manager when I met him at the cocktail party. He said they were planning on addressing this issue in the future but it's probably not been done yet. Also, the beach was so crammed with beach chairs and umbrellas, can't imagine there would even be room for your shelter. (It was very eroded and narrow in March, hopefully it is a bit wider now).

7. Re: Staying at The Crane, should I bring my beach shelter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 07:37