We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

We were really looking forward to our 2 week trip to Barbados, and arrived after a good Virgin flight from Manchester to stay at Bougainvillea Beach Resort.

Airport transfer was simple - and 1/2 the price at $30 from what Virgin offered. Just get a cab at the front of the airport - the taxi coordinator will tell you the cost and get you a cab.

We'd booked a deluxe studio and had asked nicely for a high floor with sea view - we won a watch! Got room 5326 in the main building, with fab, uninterrupted views of Maxwell Beach - great. The room was large, with a little kitchen It had an excellent bathroom and big terrace where we ate breakfast every morning. The accommodation was spotless.

We'd asked the hotel to have some basic food in the fridge for us - great idea and not too expensive.

We hired a car from Stouts - great price, prompt service and good vehicle delivered to the hotel.

As many others had already mentioned food is not this hotels strong point - only ate one lunch and it was dire! But we didn't plan on eating at the hotel anyway. For an easy lunch pop out of the front door of the hotel and across the street - there is a lovely lady who has some great local food served fresh from her van - staff and guests were eating here daily.

We had some fantastic meals whilst on the island - most highly recommended: - Tides; Champers; Joseph's; Brown Sugar; The Atlantis Hotel (Sunday buffet); Tapas; Bert's bar - fab pizza; The Beach House - lovely staff - we felt really sorry for them having to deal with a party of picky, annoying Americans - sorry guys but get a life - you were on holiday, stop being so pathetic, you lot gave Americans a bad reputation!

We found a great little coffee/lunch place in the chantel houses around beside the Big B supermarket in the Gap area. Also, this was by far the best supermarket we found - really good selection.

Couple of things to point out - don't judge restaurants by their "street-side" appearance - most places are MUCH nicer inside with their waterside locations etc. If ordering a Chinese take out from the place in the Gap - be aware, the portions are huge!!

One of the best experiences of our entire trip was our 5 hour trip with Calabaza catamaran cruises. Wow - what a wonderful day - collected at the hotel, taken by taxi to Bridgetown and then a fab day, sailing up the West coast with Gina and the guys giving us lots of little insider tips. We then swam / snorkelled with turtles - and I was given some very thoughtful coaching. Then we sailed further up the coast and saw a wreck and more wonderful fish. Food was available constantly and drinks were free flowing. Only 12 guests max on the boat - 10 on our day.

When I saw the other "cattle-markets" of boats with 40-50 people squashed on board I was sooo glad we chose Calabaza - and very good value at only $100pp.

Overall we loved Barbados - no more costly for eating/drinking than at home in Edinburgh - and a fantastic relaxing atmosphere. South coast beaches were the largest / widest (but sea slightly rougher). Will definitely go back - and most likely at this time of year - I fail to see why people would choose high season with the VERY high prices and slightly lower temps. Yes it was humid, but we are from Scotland and by day 2 were used to it.

Low season is a bargain - next year is looking good for a return trip!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Thanks for your excellent report.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
98 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

I join Chrisky in saying thanks for your full report. I leave tomorrow morning for a week's stay in Barbados to see some friends while they're still there, and I've booked (for a third time) with Calabaza, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your snorkeling cruise with Gina & Danny. Also pleased to know that from Edinburgh you adjusted to the humidity quickly since I'm in fog directly on the Pacific Coast where I am now. Thanks again for that report.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Have a wonderful trip.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Excellent trip report thank you.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Glad you enjoyed your trip and the Bougainvillea my hotel of choice.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Glad you enjoyed your trip but how did you like Tides? I'm planning on visiting there when I arrive in August.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Hi Michael

We thought Tides was really special. We had a table right beside the new boardwalk overlooking the ocean - the only thing it lacked (copared to Champers on the South Coast) was the fantastic crash and boomb of the ocean as it hit against the rocks directly below our feet - but then given the much calmer nature of the sea on the West coast we knew that this would be the case.

Service, food and wine were all impacable. A really romantic experience - I'd put Champers; Tides & Joseph's as my numbers 1, 2 and 3 for dinner.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

That sounds great. No wives going on this trip, just me and my buddy so we don't care about the romance part :) We just wondered about the food and it sounds great. Thanks.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

A great report and glad that you enjoyed Barbados and many of the lovely restaurants.I haven't been to Tides since the new boardwalk, it was lovely prior to that if you got a table right next to the sea. Champers is another of my favourites too and all the ones that you mentioned brought back memories for me.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2010 Trip report - 1st time in Barbados

Thank you, Littlejohn, for a wonderful report. We're planning our first trip to Barbados later this year and after a lot of research, and pure chance, settled on the Bougainvillea. It's so nice to get confirmation that this is a good choice. We're also looking at the deluxe studio and will follow your advice on asking "nicely" to accommodate some of our requests.

Your report summarized a lot of the information we're looking at on a gazillion websites about the hotel, transportation, restaurants, etc. and it will be the first page (of several, I'm sure) that I will print.

Again, your post has been most informative, and I promise not to tarnish the reputation of all Americans. ;-)