We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most crowded beaches in Barbados

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Most crowded beaches in Barbados

What are the most crowded, pretentious beaches in Barbados, specifically on the west coast? I'm asking so I can avoid them. Any advice on the least crowded, most pristine beaches would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

In High Season the worst ones are ----------- Paynes Bay because it gets the cruise ship people as well as the hotels and condos in the immediate vicinity and Mullins because it's used by Westmoreland and Sugar Hill and all the surrounding condos.

There are many quiet beaches on the West Coast you just need to look for them on the day.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 08:49
MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

Sometimes the Holetown beaches can be a bit busy .... but not overcrowded

Try Gibbes Beach ...no facilities though .... as Sadowner say there are plenty of others

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

I would avoid the beaches in and around Holetown as they are very popular and lots of jet skis there. Lower Carlton beach is delightful, not many people there at all and the sand is pristine as is the sea. I too would avoid Mullins like the plague.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

If you're interested in doing a bit of reading you can put "west coast crowded beaches" in the search box above and you'll find 14 pages of comments. Also for the most recent comments you'll notice once you done the search there's a box in the upper right side with "relevance" indicated, just click that box, choose "date" and the comments will show the most recent ones first.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

I regularly use Paynes Bay. It is a beautiful beach but unfortunately crowded when the cruise ships are in. However, there are times when it is practially deserted - especially in low season (and certain days during high season when no/few ships are in). Best to check the Barbados port website first - this gives a schedule of arrivals - be sure to give it a miss when any of the Carnival ships are in!

As I said before, it is a very beautiful beach and one of the few remaining beaches on the west coast with a good breadth of sand - this, and the fact that the turtles are in swimming distance is what makes it such a popular beach! Don't miss out on it, just check the schedule first!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

The least pretentious beaches are in the south, but you shouldn't be planning your life around the pretentious people, go where you like. The south beaches can be a little crowded in season near some of the bigger hotels but if you walk a minute or two you can find plenty of open spaces. I love Miami Beach, Maxwell Beach, Rockley Beach, almost anything in that area but I can also be content down at Silver Sands. I prefer some waves which you'll find in the south beaches.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

I agree with Richaaard

....and if you want a really unpretentious beach take a ride out to Bottom Bay (SE corner) ...IMO one of the most typical 'Caribbean beaches on Barbados

...but it is not calm!!!!

Edited: 01 July 2010, 23:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

I would say that Brandons on the West Coast is a very unpretentious beach. It's a local persons beach that has parking and showers. I also like Miami Beach on the South Coast. It tends to be a bit calm and the tourists and local folks intermingle nicely. I've also never been bothered by vendors on these beaches. (I'm not saying that vendors never comb these beaches, I've just never encountered any. Try a little of everything and appreciate the variety, I say.

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

Thank you all so much...I really appreciate your feedback! We have narrowed our villa selections down to 4 and your input will help us make the final decision. Thanks again! Barbados bound in 5 weeks....whooo-hooo!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most crowded beaches in Barbados

The nice thing about Miami beach is that it's broken up into 2 sections by a jetty, with bigger waves on one side than the other. You can try both sides and get a slightly different experience on each.

The snow cone guy hooks you up with a good one too. I had my first combo tamarind/coconut snow cone there last week.