We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bajan Food

LuvsAnAdventure
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bajan Food

I leave to go to Barbados this weekend (Yay!) but I have a question regarding bajan food. Most of the restaurants and food recommendations specialize in other types of food (italian, american, etc) but I would like a recommendation on a nice restaurant that specializes in good, authentic bajan food! Does anyone have any?

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bajan Food

You could try Brown Sugar restaurant http://www.brownsugarbarbados.com/

It was recommended to us in Barbados by our driver, but we never did make it there last trip but hope to next time.Don't know if it has been reviewed here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bajan Food

Yes, I recommend Brown Sugar as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bajan Food

There are several recent threads on this topic. You may want to search bajan food, bajan restaurant, local food and inexpensive food or inexpensive eats (since down-home Bajan food tends to be the least expensive).

Best,

BB

LuvsAnAdventure
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bajan Food

Brown Sugar's menu looks delicious! Thank you for your replies!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bajan Food

Try the buffet lunch a Atlantis in Bathsheba, that is great Bajan food, lovely setting too!

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bajan Food

If you are in the Bathsheba area, try out the newly rebuilt Atlantis. Also for a great brunch featuring Bajan food, try Fisherpond House. In the Gap area, David's specializes in this as well.

Check out my tips before you leave - you may find some helpful info.

www.barbadostips.com

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
991 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bajan Food

Another vote for the Atlantis buffet, the best meal I had while I was there. They offer the buffet on wednesday and sunday.

A nice way to spend the day is to drive to St. Nicholas Abbey in the AM for a tour and then down Cherry Tree Hill to the coast. Drive the coast to Bathsheba and then Atlantis Hotel for lunch.

LuvsAnAdventure
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bajan Food

That sounds like a good plan and the Atlantis menu looks good! Thank you!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bajan Food

Just drop into a Rum Shop and have something to drink and ask for some flying fish, either a plate or cutter, with plenty of hot sauce. Can't get more local than that.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
991 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bajan Food

Canby, is this preoccupation with hot sauce condiment something more recent in Bajan food history? I don't recall seeing it al all 20+ years ago but I noticed some Barbadians piling it on at Oistens recently. I also noticed at Supercentre that they sell it in 2 litre bottles .....JEEEZ! I ended up buying some to bring back home and my daughter and myself have been dabbling, but not the way I've seen some Bajans do it. I enjoy it, but it's some strong stuff and I'm starting to think it's addictive.