We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget Barbados

cornwall england
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
budget Barbados

I am going to Barbados for 8 weeks next Jan. Feb.Mar.I am solo 66yr.old female.I need all the budget saving tips I can get.On another website I saw mentioned Barbados tourist board discount vouchers also Heritage park ticket.Has anyone heard of these as I can't find anything about them.I have already heard about the free Sunday hikes with the national trust also Sunday day trips with the government buses for 15$ also Huntes garden which is free.I shall use the buses most of the time first then see if I need to hire a car.Can anyone tell me should I buy snorkelling gear here or in Barbados ditto for sun lotion shampoo etc.(england)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget Barbados

Welcome to this forum and here are some suggestions.

National Trust is the group that do open houses of historical or places of interest, so if you Goggle that you should find something. Interestingly when we were in Scotland and got the National Trust Pass it was also valid in Barbados, now I don't know if that arrangement still exists but it might be worth looking into.

Most of the Barbados vouchers are valid fore their off season which is April 15 to December 15 and other deals are usually linked to air and hotel deals.

Better to bring your own snorkelling gear with you as you'll have more choice at home. Rentals are not a big item but equipment is available at Folkstone Marine Park and on catamaran day cruises. Also best to bring your skin care products from home as not all brands are available in Barbados.

On this site is an extensive library of information using the search box just above. You just put in the subject you want regardless and chances are you'll find some great information. To get the most recent comments (you'll notice a small box on the right once the item your searching comes up) click on the box and you'll have a small menu with relevance and date, click date and the most recent comments will appear.

Some other sites to look at are www.visitbarbados.org www.totallybarbados.com

Some Car Rental Company Links

Stoutes http://www.stoutescar.com

Courtesy http://www.courtesyrentacar.com

Direve-A-Matic http://www.carhire.tv

Coconut http://www.coconutcars.com

MAH Car Rentals www.funbarbados.com/CarRentals/MAHrentals.cfm

Hope this helps.

Edited: 24 July 2010, 14:57
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
98 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget Barbados

Hello! To get to the sites where the Sunday free hikes begin, you'll often need a car, but the Sunday Big Blue Bus rides are a great way to see different places and to talk with others.

Self-catering is probably the least expensive way to go, and you can go to http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html to see what groceries and other essentials (such as sun-tan lotion and mosquito repellent) are available and would cost you, Snorkeling right off the beach is free -- and all beaches by law are free -- and on both the West and South Coasts are numerous beaches to choose from.

Sometimes what seems a splurge, such as a day trip to go snorkeling with sea turtles on a catamaran, is actually a bargain since the companies generally provide transportation to and from the boat from where one stays, a huge lunch, and camaraderie. When travelling alone, I have gone on these and enjoyed talking with others, both the crew and other passengers, and one time I met someone who knew one of my colleagues in my department back at my university in the States.

8 weeks is a nice long time to enjoy what Barbados has to offer...even if that might turn into primarily lounging on a beach relaxing while looking out at the sea as one reads or people-watches. Enjoy!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget Barbados

I don't know if you have found accommodationyet but www.shoestringbarbados.com is a great site to find cheaper accommodation.

Sarah

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget Barbados

if you're a beach lover, you might want to consider packing a small folding chair and a collapsible cooler to say the fees for chair rental and buying drinks and food on the beach. pack up your lunch and cold drinks and bring that will you when you go to the beach.

you can also find great inexpensive food that sells from the back of a truck at both rockley beach and in st. lawrence gap where dover beach is located (if you choose to stay on the south coast..

cheers, rootsie!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget Barbados

Barbados is always perceived as being an expensive destination, but there are definitely ways of keeping things cheap!

As others have mentioned, take the bus, the public transport system is very efficient. For a cheap day out, my friend and I will walk to the nearest bus stop and just get on the first bus that turns up and see where it takes us, we've met some lovely people and had great days out doing that!

Make sure you buy the local papers and see if there is anything going on, for example, there will sometimes be a local cricket match or football tournament where the locals hang out and there's music, food and drink and fun to be had!

As others have said, self catering is easily done, there are various supermarkets around. Also the local food vans etc have some great options that most certainly won't break the bank.

I'm not sure if you have found accommodation yet, but the Rio Guesthouse is very budget friendly and quite popular for solo travellers and in a great location - close to the beach, the bus stop and bars/restaurants.

Oistins on a Friday is a good budget option, you can buy food there or just soak up the atmosphere at no cost!

Although not cheap, the 4x4 Safari might be a good idea early on in your trip as you go all over the island and it may give you ideas as to where you could go back and spend more time.

Depending on how much luggage you have, it may be cheaper for you to take toiletries with you as you can't always find the supercheap options in Barbados.

Finally, have a wonderful time! I may well run into you as I'll hopefully be around early next year!

cornwall england
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget Barbados

Thanks all for your help.I have got my accomodation & flight .Are the Supercentre prices in U.s $ or barb $ if Barb $ the price of toiletries is much the same as England (yes ? ) I don't mind using local stuff.I shall take a small cooler but I'm not sure about a folding chair because of the weight also the toiletries.I shall do some dearer trips& will save for a 4x4 trip a submarine trip and a catamaran trip.I shall do a small cat if possible as I don't like the sound of loads of people in the water at the same time.Looked at Silver moon its too dear.Heard of shasa cats ,don't know price,I will take my own snorkel and mask.Also any inter island trips on boats or are they really dear?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget Barbados

A good tip for the cooler, is try to buy one that you can use as a carryon, in that way it won't take up room in your suitcase, and then you can use it for the beach.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budget Barbados

"Are the Supercentre prices in U.s $ or barb $ if Barb $ the price of toiletries is much the same as England (yes ? ) "

All prices on the website are in BDS dollars www.superecentre.com you then make the conversion to your funds and see what it is in comparison.

There are no inter-island trips on boats as Barbados is quite far for easy day sailing to another island. There are cruises you can take from Barbados though but they're not inexpensive unless you get a last minute deal.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget Barbados

Cool Runnings is approx Bds $160 I think and is lovely - a big boat but max 32 people and they are very strict about that - I've been on many times and is def my fav boat trip and well worth the money. Plenty of room and food and drink are good - excellent crew usually too.

Sarah

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
98 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: budget Barbados

I haven't been on Cool Runnings myself because I'm such a fan of Calabaza, which costs more than Cool Runnings but less than Silver Moon, I think, for the 12-person trip though not for the 24-person trip. And the food on Calabaza is outstanding and varied, and the crew are quite personable, especially Gina, who emails recipes to guests afterwards! Once again you have some lovely choices to make since Shasta also looks fine (2009 posted rates look the same as those for Cool Runnings). Just keep checking the various catamarans' web sites as an enjoyable prelude to your trip to Barbados!