We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Gap/Holetown questions

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The Gap/Holetown questions

Hello

Plan to stay 10 days from Dec 23, so Christams and new years eve in Barbados, I will be traveling solo, no cars. I have seen the Gap is a good area to stay for many reasons, what is Holetown area like, what are pros/con for each please, or is there other area that look like the Gap.

Merci

Sylvain

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

I have never stayed around Holetown, but have many friends who have and they enjoy it thoroughly, It is a quieter area than the Gap with calmer waters.

The Gap also has beautiful beaches with a bit more surf, and has plenty of bars, clubs and places to eat.

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

There are no nightclubs in Holetown (as far as I know) and so it just depends what kind of holiday you want to have.

If you want a quiet-ish time, nice bars on the beach and friendly restaurants I would say to go for Holetown. if you alos just want beaches that you can swim on and lie reading a book, Holetown would get my vote.

if you want noise and partying I would say go to the Gap. Nighclubs, bars open until 2am. Lots of teenagers, crowds, a busier area of coastline, then this is the place for you.

It really depends what you want. They are hard to compare as they are so different.

We stayed in Holetown and would have hated being the Gap. Personally in the Gap you could have been in Spain. But is just our opinion and we dont want that kind of atmosphere on holiday.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

I always stay in or near Holetown and must say that the last post was correct in the amount of bars etc.

There is a new roof top Nightclub that is supposed to be opening in time for Xmas at Lime Grove in Holetown

However, being that you are going to be there at Xmas/New Year it will be a lot busier in general and should certainly be more of a party atmosphere. I am there at the same time.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

mummybarrow, i know you said it's just your opinion BUT have you ever stayed there ? the gap is nothing like Spain what so ever!!, i have been staying in the gap for many years now and to compare them both is so far from the truth.

Yes there is partying but in the clubs itself. there are teenagers yes, but also people from all ages up and down the strip.

I have stayed in the Rostrevor hotel which is up near the clubs and have never been woken once with the 'noise' except for the odd car going by tooting it's horn.

There is also the opposite end of the Gap were you can just relax and have a few beers and the odd meal if you want a break from the partying.

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

The Gap is certainly nothing like Spain. Have you ever spent any amount of time in that area/

Beaches in the Gap area are, in my opinion, less crowded and with better facilities that some on the west coast.

Whilst I enjoy visiting Holetown, I am afraid I much prefer the Gap area. There is a bigger diversity of places to eat and drink, people are friendly and it is easy to jump on a bus to other parts of the island. Don't stay out that late so clubs and teenagers have never bothered me.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

I would also agree that the Gap is nothing like Spain.

The Gap area is livelier than the West and there is more nightlife but nothing like the rowdiness that can be found in certain areas of Spain.

I just prefer to stay on the West Coast because I enjoy the general area, the calm water, restaurants and bars that I am familiar with.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

I have to say that I wouldn't liken the Gap to Spain either - to me that would conjure up high rise hotels, excessive noise and partying. Whilst the Gap is certainly a good place to be if you do want to enjoy nightlife in Barbados, it is perfectly possible to stay within walking distance of the bars etc but not experience any noise etc. There is a wide choice of entertainment in The Gap to suit all tastes.

8. Re: The Gap/Holetown questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 07:17