We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Hello

We are arriving in Barbados in Sept for the first time. And have a couple of questions.

Iam I better pre booking car hire now or wait until we arrive?

Also should I book a vehicle for 3 days 1 week or the whole two weeks?

thanks

tom

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

personally I would book it now. I can see no benefit in waiting until you arrive, but a lot of negatives, such as nothing be available that suits you!

And as for length of hire, it depends on many factors. Are you staying in an all inclusive on the beach? Do you want to explore the island? Would you be happy catching the bus? Or do you want to just lie on the beach? How will you pick up and drop back and then get back to your accomodation if you do a part hire? Are you going to be staying within walking distance of all the bars / places you want to visit?

We recently came for three weeks and had the car for the whole time. We used it every day, if only to get to the beach for the day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Thanks for that I think I have made up my mind.

We are staying SC in the rostrevor> And we want to explore the island.

So its a ten or 14 day hire.

Now another Question Jeep Moke or Small car?

Tom

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

We usually get a Suzuki Terios from Stoutes - it's not too big and has air-conditioning, but the roads seem to sometimes justify the extra ride height and suspension! The main ABC Highway is pretty good, but last time we were there Highway 1 on the West Coast got a bit bumpy as you go further North. The country roads are used lots by the agricultural industry and get pretty beaten up - so when exploring it is nice to have a small jeep-like car, we think. The great thing is that Barbados is only about the size of the Isle of Wight and finding your way is fun. The bus signs - "To the city" and "From the city" mean Bridgetown and the sun is easy to spot too :-) ! If you ask in the forum about car hire firms - or check the older postings - you will find a couple of companies seem to get recommended every time and David Stoute owns our favourite full service company.

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

personally I wouldn't have a mini Moke. You are very low to the road and the roof is canvas so there is no air conditioning. Fine when you are doing 40 kph as you get the wind but when it rains boy do you get wet!!

I would really recommend you get a small car.

And if any driver is under 21 you will not be able to hire a mini Moke.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Thanks for the advice regarding the Moke.

Under 21 I wish lol

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

I looked into booking a car for the 6 days I will be there in November and all the rates were over $ 320.

Decided I can take plenty of cabs for $ 320 - so no car for us,

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Personally I wouldn't have thought you need a car for the whole time on the island if you are staying at Rostrevor as there are a number of beaches within walking distance and you are only a short walk from the main south coast road and the buses/ZRs that will take you to Bridgetown and places along the south coast. I would have a car for half the time you're there if you intend having beach time as you may find it spends time sitting in the car park unused and they're not exactly cheap.

I've always used Stoutes and usually book before I go but this year their rates seem higher and for some reason they are not offering a discount so we're going to book something when we get there and take a chance. We'll do as much as we want on buses along the south coast then take it from there. Also depends on the weather, as if there is a lot of rain (we go in 10 days) we might want a car to get out and about if we can't sit on the beach all day.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 09:38
Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

I would say that you don't need a car for the first couple of days as you will be enjoying yourself relaxing and getting to know your surroundings perhaps take the middle 7 or 10 days.

Look at a Suzuki Jimny or Terios.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Thanks all for the advice.

I think I will now wait until we get there, The buses sound quite fun maybe three to five days is the way forward.

Again thanks

Tom

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your thoughts on the length of car hire

Some of the bus drivers must be related to Lewis Hamilton I reckon, at least they try to drive like him! Some people like them, others don't. Personally I think they are fun and for $1.50BDS per ride they are great value. We use them and ZRs (also $1.50) to get along the south coast road.

ZRs are route taxis - small white minivans with a ZR plate that don't run to a timetable but cover the south coast road, and further down to Silver Sands. I think they are only supposed to stop at bus stops but they used to stop anywhere, although last year this seemed to have been tightened up. You've got bus stops (for both directions) at the end of the Gap road by Bellinis anyway. They do try to pack people in like sardines but that's part of the fun of it. Just when you think it is full they stop for 6 more passengers. We've had great fun - school kids on our laps, sat next to a guy eating his dinner (on a plate with knife and fork) etc. The music is usually quite varied as well.

One thing to note is that ZRs will usually toot you as they approach to see if you want a ride. That's fine, but you also get minivan taxis (with a ZM plate) that do that as well and will charge you a proper taxi fare if you hire them. Something to watch out for, especially in the dark when it is difficult to see their plate.