We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

Cleveland, Oh
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

Hello Everyone,

We will be spending my husband's birthday in early September. Since we are staying in the Gap, I narrowed it down to these two restaurants. We are just looking to have a lovely dinner with a great view of the ocean. I should probably mentioned that we do not drink so wine selection is not a big deal. Which of these two would you recommend based on the overall experience and value.

Also, how does the Wispers fixed price menu work? Do you just pick anything from their dinner menu?

Thanks in advance

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

Well I haven't tried Wispers yet so can't compare but I love Champers and have always had great food there. A table by the rail gives you a lovely ambience with the waves crashing below.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

We've been to both several times and I would definitely say Champers. The food, service and setting (on the balcony) is THE BEST. Wispers has a pretty setting with all of the torches light outside, but the food does not compare nor does the service.

Wispers no longer has only the set price menu -- you order what you want off of a regular menu. They do have a small fixed price menu (not like in years past), and you have about 3 options to select from in each area.

So I would say contact Champers and request a balcony seat near the water and you will have a memorable evening.

Barbados
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

I'd second Champers! Excellent day or night.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

We have found the food and setting at Champers to be excellent so would recommend it too. As others have said, request a rail table ..... just a little warning though, a few rail tables are close to the bar. We had one of those last time - it didn't matter to us at all but it was fairly busy with people who had come in just for a drink so if you think that would be an issue for you then I'd mention it when you book.

Wispers - we haven't been yet either. There's a 100 BDS per person minimum spend for the dinner menu - not that that would be difficult to achieve nor is it unreasonable but just pointing out that there is one.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

I didn't try Wispers but I went to Champers and loved it. I already reserved for my next stay. So, I vote for Champers and as said before, contact them and request a table by the rail.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

I vote for Champers too.We like a table upstairs on the rail and if you mention that it is a birthday celebration when you make the reservation, the table will be decorated for you. Food has never disappointed.

Have never been to Wispers so cannot compare but we do go to Champers every year for Husband's birthday.The waitress always brings him out a complementary dessert with a candle in it after the meal and the wait staff sing happy birthday.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 16:20
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
990 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

I have to buck the trend here. My wife and I were less than thrilled with Champers when we went in June. It's a lovely restaurant, great presentation, but the food wasn't as good as I've read about here. I give their deserts high marks though. My wife liked Atlantis and Tapas better and I would agree.

...never did get to wispers

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

Maybe you were just unlucky Richaaard, we have eaten there many times and always had lovely food.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
990 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

The food actually WAS lovely, even beautiful, but it just wasn't great. I just don't think the flavor of the food was that exciting. It's still a great place for romance, ...but I could make KFC romantic :)

victoria bc canada
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Special Occasion Restaurant - Wispers or Champers

Have been to both many times and like them both,

I would also vote for Champers upstairs along the seawall.Good food and great ambience.