We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados in October 2011?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados in October 2011?

I will be married 25 yrs next year and we want to revisit Barbados . We were last there 21 years ago during the month of August. We went on a shoestring then and the accomodation we stayed in at Rockly beach was pretty bad. I remember walking along the beach at St James and vowing that the next time we returned it would have to be some place up market like the Colony Club. However looking at the Colony Club rates, I still dont think we can afford them!

We will probably go with our friends so there will be 4 of us and I was thinking all inclusive as that would cut out the worry of spending money when we got there. But perhaps self catering in a really nice beach apartment might be an option. Can anyone advise us re weather in mid October (through experience) and with regards to cost of living and accomodation? Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

Weather

Wet Season: July – November Frequent rain and the chance of hurricanes are what put people off from visiting during the wet season, but it still has a lot to offer. The average high temperature sneaks up to 29°C and the average low follows to 24°C.. High humidity takes some getting used to; visitors will relish their air-conditioning. The sea temperature gets up to a bath-like 28°C. The likelihood of being hit by a hurricane is very low, but is at its highest in August and September. Before travelling to this area during the wet season a check on hurricane activity in the area is a must. Hurricanes passing nearby will also drastically affect weather on the island, causing tremendous storms with ferocious wind speeds and deluges of rain. Flash flooding and a disruption of transport are regular effects of a bad storm. Hurricanes or not, rainfall is high during the wet season. Storms are generally very heavy but very brief and so days full of sunshine are still to be had. More likely than not, you will have plenty of carefree days on the beach.

http://www.barbados-weather.com/

http://barbados-guide.info/weather

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g147262-Barbados-Vac…

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://www.stormcarib.com/

http://www.barbados.org/weather.htm

http://www.climatetemp.info/barbados/

For self catering take a look at www.barbados.org or www.totallybarbados.com or www.barbadosrockleyvacations.com their maps and info page for links to various sites.

You might also though get some very good deals for all inclusive as October is the low season and it's slow that time of year.

In terms of expenses it's like anything else if you go to 4 and 5 star restaurants you'll pay a lot if you go to regular places they can be quite reasonable.

Best of Luck

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

Cheers for that info - very helpful.

Woodbridge...
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

My husband and I will be travelling to Barbados this Sept into mid Oct. We always go at that time. It is low season, so I don't have to deal with massive crowds and it is a bit less expensive We prefer AI at a small resort on the beach near Holetown (St. James) However, there are quite a few other options as Canby has already indicated. We have friends who come down during the rainy season and stay for 3 months in a self catering unit. So far, other than occasional "liquid sunshine", we have thoroughly enjoyed being out and about. We were in Barbados a few years ago when a hurricane was passing nearby. There was lots of rain and we stayed exclusively at the resort. The staff treated us wonderfully, and we always felt safe. Other than a couple of super rainy days, we travelled about as usual. Enjoy Barbados - one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

The last hurricane we had was in 1955, Rain is warm in the Caribbean and October is not that bad.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

Please don't go all-inclusive in Barbados. There are so many fantastic great restaurants to enjoy that you will miss out on by going all-inclusive (with mediocre food in most instances).

I know money may still be a problem, but October is still low season, so rates are pretty good.

Why don't you consider a villa on the west coast that the 4 of you can split the costs for. You get so much more for your dollar that way, and can all enjoy being together. Many are very reasonably priced.

Check out www.bajanservices.com

We were always told to rent larger than you actually need - that way you get better amenities. So I would check out 3 bedroom villas. But many of the 2 bedrooms are great. You can get a stand-alone villa (the type we like best), or one that is a condo in a building -- some are gorgeous.

You may want to check out my tips to help with your planning:

www.barbadostips.com

A lot has changed in 21 years. What a wonderful trip to be planning.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

The weather in October shouldn't be a problem, we have visited this time of year and you should expect short heavy showers, but they only usually last 10-15mins and are followed by more wonderful sunshine! they won't affect your holiday.

If you choose All inclusive, the higher end All inclusives on the West Coast are Mango Bay (situated in Holetown) This is a great hotel if you want to leave the hotel in the evening as it is situated at the bottom of 1st and 2nd street Holetown right next to Lexi's piano bar, so no taxi fees!

Crystal Cove hotel and the newly renovated Waves hotel (we have booked here for November!). The price of these All inclusives will probably be about the same as the price for Colony Club but obviously all food and drink is included. Have a good look around at prices before you book anywhere because as somebody has already mentioned October is the slower time of year and you can find some good deals if you shop around. We usually wait until 3-4 months before going to book somewhere unless we find a very good price before.

If you choose to stay in a self catered apartment/villa I would recommend looking for one that is close to Holetown as this is where you will find a great range of restaurants and amenities such as supermarkets. We stayed self catering in Speightstown and although it is a lovely place we had to drive everywhere at night.

The price of food in supermarkets in pretty reasonable, probably about the same price as supermarkets in England. Eating out can be expensive depending on where you go, we opted for 'Just Grillin' a few nights and it was reasonably priced and good food.

I'm sure which ever you choose you will have a great time! Good Luck!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

Thanks to everyone who replied - will consider self catering but there are so many to choose from. If anyone has any gems they want to recomend I'd appreciate it. Looking for beachfronted if possible and two bedroomed. Thanks again.

8. Re: Barbados in October 2011?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 05:18