We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's so great about Barbados?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's so great about Barbados?

in response to canby's thought provoking thread, let's take a moment to list what is so great about barbados!

here' my top three list:

1. the people - barbados is a great island for mixing with the locals who are so gracious and hospitable. ask anyone who's been lost while driving around in the middle of no where! when you take the time to ask how their day is going, you'll almost always hear a great story and sometimes, make a friend for life.

2. the beaches - all are public, some are wavy, some are calm, some are surfer's paradise...all are gorgeous with up to date facillities, eateries and most with lifeguards

3. restaurants & nightlife (that's two i suppose:) there are many wonderful fine dining restaurants with views that are worth a million dollars. there are many mid price range eateries where you can have some fabulous meals; again with wonderful views of the sea or the rolling hills. my favourite are the many local establishments that are run by mom and pop...rum shops, roadside food vans, small local places tucked away in a rural setting. re. nightlife, there are so many options here. from nightclubs to jazz bars to extravaganza shows or good ‘ole karaoke at a rum shop.

barbados, for me, has so much to offer as a holiday destination that as another posted commented, i've yet to find on any other caribbean island!

cheers, rootsie!

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

Choice- So much in all area's from food, hotels to transport.

Weather because even on a bad day it's pretty good.

But mainly I revisit because after extensive travel I have never found anything to better Barbados and all that it offers me.

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

rootsie1,

The Weather. As close to perfect as one could ask for.

The People. Friendly, helpful and full of life.

The Food. You'd have to go a long way to beat what's available in Bim.

Activities. There's a hell of a lot to do and a tremendous choice for an

island that's only 14 miles wide and 21 miles long.

"Long Live Life"..........and thanks Rootsie. There should be more posts

like this, with a positive spin.

Paragon 140

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

and you can drink the water right out of the tap...and did anyone mention the fabulous weather?? lol

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

It sure is much CLEANER than other Islands K & I have visited:^)

Can't wait to return this year!!

KNK

Guildford
Level Contributor
437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

It is the ability to walk safely for miles along the shore from uncrowded beach to beach in the Caribbean sun with sand between you toes most of the time.

I don't know anywhere else you can do that.

E.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

I really enjoy the long walks on the beach and now you can stroll along the sea on the new boardwalk really quite relaxing. Having visited several other caribbean islands I now realize that the people are much more appreciative of the tourist visiting there island and they show this by treating us as if we were at home. I also really enjoy the freedom of travelling anywhere on the island and feeling safe .. I must add that in my usual morning walks on the boardwalk I will stop to pickup the local newspaper. Well the cost of the paper varies on some days and I was short of money to buy the paper and on two occasions the customer behind me gladly handed the cashier the difference ..now that for me was awesome..love this place and will be back next march for trip # 21...Laurie...oh forgot to mention where else can you enjoy great rum punches and at happy hour at 12 noon?.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

That's right, don't forget the de-rum punches. A shady tree, a beach, and a rum punch. It's not something I would ever drink back home but they are consistently good everywhere on the island and they help set the island mood.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

People, Food & Music.

Specifically, the Cliff and Carombola for resturants

Ancaster,Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

Lunch at the Crane. For the last few years I have taken guests to the Crane for lunch. I call a few days ahead and ask if they can make their DELICIOUS and HUDGE coconut shrimp and ceasar salad. Each time the front desk recepionist speaks with the chief and says "no problem" Now that is what I call good customer service. Cant wait to do it again this winter.

Blue

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's so great about Barbados?

a FYI for egeorge - Carambola unfortunately closed years ago, it is now the site of yet more condos!

The Cliff remains as wonderful as ever.

The diversity and culture of the island never fails to disappoint me.