We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining marriage certificate

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining marriage certificate

I got married in Barbados 16 years ago but have lost my marriage certificate and need it for some documentation I need to apply for. Does anyone know how I go about getting a copy? I tried e mailing the Bajan Government via their website but my e mail kept getting returned as un receiverable.

Help!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Do you not have a Barbados High Commission in your city or perhaps in a larger city close by? IMO a phone call there would be the place to start.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

I found the following on a Barbados Government website for the Ministry of Home Affairs in Barbados

In order to obtain a copy of a marriage certificate Applicants should write

the Registrar of the Supreme Court, Coleridge Street, Bridgetown,

Barbados.

Fax No. 246 426 2405, Email address registrar@lawcourts.gov.bb

Applicants must submit their names (husband’s name and wife’s name) and

the Date and Place of the Marriage.

Importantly British applicants can prepare money orders of nine pounds (9

pounds) and United States of America applicants can prepare international

money U.S. $15.00. In addition, all International money orders must be

made payable to the Registrar of the Supreme Court

Also, you may want to contact the following first to make sure this info is correct. and I hope you don't need any of this in a hurry. You may also want to ask if this can be done for you by someone locally.

MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS

Level Five, General Post Office Building, Cheapside, Bridgetown, Barbados.

Telephone: (246) 228 – 8950 Fax: (246) 437 – 3794 Email: ps@mha.gov.bb

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Thank you so much - I've spent weeks of searching and not succeeded in getting this much info!

I am actually in Barbados (from a cruise) on 19 November so i should have plenty of time to get things sorted and just pick up my certificate then

Really appreciate your time here

:)

Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

I live in England and I am trying to get a divorce so I need a copy of my barbados marriage certificate? How much will it cost me and how do I get it??

Thanks emma

warwickshire uk
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Hi there is a high commissioners office in london start there http://barbados.embassyhomepage.com/ hope this helps .

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Thats the reason for me too Emma - use the info Sunniebgi has posted here and hopefully that will help you too

Good luck!

MX

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Thanks for that - I can try there too

:)

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

I got married in Barbados in 2005 and have since lost my marriage certificate. I emailed the supreme court and called and was advised to send a postal order to the supreme court in Bridgetown with all my details and a £5.00 postal order. I did this 5 weeks ago and when I called again 3 weeks ago was assured it was being sent out that day. I have still not received anything and the numbers I have are now ringing out. I could literally cry with sheer frustration !!!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Don't distress - remember everything in Barbados takes a little longer

I don't think it's the supreme court that you should contact though - that's not where I got mine from eventually

Give me a day or so to re trace my e mails and e mail the person who really helped me out and I'll come back to you

Marianne

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Please someone help me : (

I am English and married a bajan in Barbados back in 2006 then moved to the UK. We separated due to him having 2 affairs and he went back to Barabdos, however our divorce was finalised in Barbados by my ex last July 2010, as the least he could do was pay for it ( he left me with a serious amount of date and heartache)

Howegver the problem is I have sent a number of emails, letters to the Registrar , Supreme Court to send me the Divorce certifcate but with no luck, I have even sent money over twice as directed by someone there on email.

I feel furstrated and ignored and need this asap as want my identity back and my maiden name so I can move on and potentialy get married again in the future.

I hope someone as information that will help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeee !!

Thanks in advance

Regards

Leanne