We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salt bread

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
salt bread

Just curious, what exactly is salt bread...is it what it sounds like.....bread that is salty? Thanks for any responses

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salt bread

Take a look at salt bread.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&rlz=&q=salt+bread&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=yuTKTNyuK4zVngfLrMjEDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=7&ved=0CEcQsAQwBg&biw=1259&bih=627

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salt bread

…wordpress.com/2009/…

As stated in another article, Salt Bread is really called that because most of the breads (not sandwichs breads but traditionally made breads) are sweet, so they called this Salt Bread (more like rolls)

while the site I have listed above is vegan, it gives a great picture and information about Salt Bread. they are great. Better than a "hamburger bun" or a dinner roll. Salt bread can be eaten with almost anything, but usually (as stated) it's a cutter with ham, fish, egg or cheese (never heard of beef stew on a salt bread.. maybe eaten with but never on). You can even have "a bread and two" which is a salt bread and 2 fish cakes (good but too much flour and grease for me.. )

Enjoy.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salt bread

Thanks Sunniebgi, does it taste salty?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salt bread

No, salt bread does not taste salty at all. It is a very moist roll which I could happily eat every day (and I am from Ottawa, not Barbados). A salt bread hamburger roll puts any pre-packaged hamburger roll that you get in Canada to shame. Salt bread rolls (and buns) are available in any grocery store on the island. Please try them without fear.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salt bread

lol @ while the site is vegan comment.

I am the only site that showcases real bajan food anyways and actually there is increased awareness for barbadian food culture and yeah it is vegan so what..u eat vegan stuff everyday and the salt bread is suppose to be vegan anyways. I have thousands of people getting ready to make conkies for November and excited to visit Barbados ;) just coming to pick a bone with sunniebgi I know you meant well :)

Anyways the reason it is called salt bread is that it is a savory bread and not a sweet bread. What no one said is that there are 2 types of salt bread the modern has a softer crust that does not crack and is sometimes baked with the coconut palm. There is the old fashioned salt bread that you can buy at a family style bakery and the crust is harder and there is some flour around the bread and that nice smell of coconut palm baked on the top of the bread, that really gives that old fashion feel. I like them both.

Enjoy it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: salt bread

Now that sounds like it!!!!

Now I am hungry for a fish cutter and so far away but not for long

Long live life !!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: salt bread

Hey Franglish.. that's your site.?!?! I wasn't trying to put eating vegan down (have a great long time friend who is vegan and actually currently only eating raw food).. but to each his own.. and I can't imagine that any bajan food would be categorized as vegan. and yours was the best site for any photo's and information for Salt Bread.. Looks great.. and tastes great...

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: salt bread

yeah it is my site Sunniebgi...I know u were not putting it down you just made me laugh. Many dishes are vegan or can be made vegan and to be honest it does not hurt to veganize some of those Barbadian dishes that are boarderline unhealthy.Thanks for the nod.

I will be reposting salt bread again with some "vegan bajan xmas ham" Take a look in a week or so ;) or not...!

Ontario
Level Contributor
708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: salt bread

Taymer - I've been reading your blog for months and have made a few items even though we're not Vegans. Always tasty and your website is de best! Thank you!!

:-)

10. Re: salt bread

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:16