We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

Boston
Level Contributor
170 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

I noticed that I can get an ocean view from at Amaryllis Beach Resort for the same price as an island view room at Accra. I am thinking about switching as I have heard only negative things about Accra's island view rooms and I don't want to spend another $500 to upgrade to ocean view. I chose Accra due to its location to bars and restaurants and the beach there looks beautiful. If I stay at Amaryllis Beach Resort, will we be isolated from the boardwalk and other long walks (to Bridgetown or the Gap)? Is the beach just as nice? Can anyone help?

uk
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

Firstly I would like to say that I have never stayed at either !

However - Amarylis is on a lovely beach though techinically "isolated" compared to Accra

Accra is right on Rockley beach - at the beginning of the Boardwalk with lots of bars/restaurants nearby.But it is on a busy road so "island view" could mean "road view " !

Amarylis is past the end of the Boardwalk - it ends then you walk past a couple of private houses then Coconut Court Hotel then the Amarylis is the next hotel along so it is possible to walk along the beach from the Boardwalk . There is only a few bars/restaurants nearby though it is a very easy walk along the beach to the Hilton /Carlisle Bay/Bridgetown or along the Boardwalk to Rockley in the day

The Ocean View would personally "do it" for me - the view looking out in the morning is just magical but you have to make the choice especially if standards in the hotel - Accra I think is more highly rated? and accessiblility to bars/restaurants especially in the evening are major points for you

Both are on the main road so taxis /buses would be easy to get both in the day & evening to either Bridgetown or the Gap

Hope this helps

Edited: 19 November 2010, 00:29
UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

in terms of standard of hotel i would consider accra far superior, the location is better aswell, but it depends what is more important to you!!! ok its nice to sit on ur balcony with sea view every morning, but your only bout a minutes walk from beach anyway from ur room!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

Accra definately - Amaryllis beach is ok but can be rocky - its a couple of minutes walk from the start of the boardwalk so to get to Rockley beach you would have to walk the full length of the boardwalk. As previous posters have said you can soon be at the beach from your room anywhere in the hotel - you never know you may be lucky with the location of your room!!

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

Accra definitely has the better beach. We've stayed there and the hotel is nice, as is the location.

However, if you select an "island view" room, you will get lots of road noise & also noise from the taxi stand right by the hotel. I was even told by a friend who works there that you really don't want to book island view rooms.

So I would try for whatever you can upgrade to there without breaking the bank.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

I think the question you need to ask yourself is how much time are you going to spend in your room? If the view from the room is of utmost importance then the "island" view (street view more like) room at Accra will probably disappoint. But as far as quality of the actual hotel, location etc are concerned then Accra is definitely a better choice as previous posters have said. I'd go with room without a view at Accra over room with a view at Amaryllis I think.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

Try the Coral Mist and get the best of both view and location.

7. Re: Should I switch from Accra to Amaryllis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2011, 05:18