We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling from shore?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
134 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling from shore?

Hi,

We've just booked our first trip to Barbados for the 2nd week in January. We love to snorkel and would love advice on which areas/beaches to visit where there is good snorkeling offshore. We'll be renting a car. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

Just put "snorkeling from shore" in the search box and you'll find the answers interesting and helpful.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

My favourite place to snorkel is off Folkestone Marine Park I've got some very unusual shells from that spot. Also you can snorkel with the turtles if you go on a catarmaran cruise - they are really tame.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

This is an extremely frequent question and you should find all the info you need by putting 'snorkeling' into the search box

You can swim/snorkel wit the turtles from Paynes Beach ..don't need to take a catamaran cruise

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

Coconut Court hotel has ( I believe, but haven't seen it myself) a nice reef just off it's beach. The groin off bar Kanai on Accra beach. Carlisle bay has a wreck that you can swim out to which usually has quite a lot to look at. And of course Folkwstone marine park in Holetown.

great White North
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

I agree that Folkstone is a good place to go, but I haven't been able to get there for 4 years....sadly. There were lockers available and certainly some fish to see, If you go 100-200 m from shore you will see more.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
134 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

Thank you all for your feedback! I did also do a search on this topic, and found numerous suggestions. Very much looking forward to our visit!

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

Folkestone is probably the best snorkeling on the island, and is fairly easy to get to. I am unsure about local rental operations (if you need equipment), but access is easy. There is a breakwater in front of Coconut Court (not a reef) that has decent fish and urchins. You can also snorkel over the artificial shipwrecks in Carlisle Bay if you want to swim a ways out to the buoys. Lots of fish and soft corals are about 15 feet down. Enjoy

8. Re: Snorkeling from shore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 06:27