We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currancy

Sheerness
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
currancy

can someone please advise me of currancy i should take to barbados

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currancy

You'll get a 100 answers all different. I take US$, you will get a better rate in UK than buying Bardados $ and they are readily usable all over the island 2 bds to 1US. Any left over can be spent in more places than left over Bar$'s. Credit cards can be used widely to take up any slack.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currancy

We take US$ - the hotel reception was happy to change into BD$ if we needed change for bus fares. Otherwise the stores are OK to take US$ and give you change in BD$.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currancy

I would say unless you get USDollars commission free. Just bring good old british pounds you can change them at any bank here rates are fixed by Central Bank and you don't pay commission. You can go on www.centralbankbarbados.org.bb and check the local rate daily. If you change money hotel they give you an abismal rate compared to the banks here That's just my opinion

Edited: 01 December 2010, 21:39
Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currancy

Yes I agree...it's a bit of a pain having to queue in the bank but if you try to change most of it one time at least you won't have to keep going back. The web address that BarbadosSue is referring to is actually http://www.centralbank.org.bb/

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currancy

The hotel gave us the same as bank rate -exchanging US$ to BD$ -should have said that staying AI we didnt need to change much. If we had been self catering then we would probably have taken sterling and changed it there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currancy

How about Canadian $'s? Are they changed as readily as US? I imagine the most convenient way to go is just to withdraw from an ATM.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currancy

LeFemmeNikita,

Barbados dollars are the currency but they are pegged to the US dollar at $1.98 Bds to 1 US.

Our dollar (CDN) is not a common currency, so just go to the local bank in Barbados and change your CDN $ to BDS at the going rate or use your credit card for restaurants and purchases or withdraw funds with your bank card at RBC or Scotia Bank. You could bring a couple of hundred US for quick easy use etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currancy

Thank you very much.

worthing, sussex uk
Level Contributor
169 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currancy

Question for Butterflysue1 (or anyone else)

I've been to Barbados a few times now but never taken Sterling cash before and changed it there. Looked at the central bank link yesterday and the Bajan dollar rate to the pound was over 3 which is much better than the current UK rate of around 2.9. Are there any charges at all at Barbados banks when just giving them Sterling banknotes and changing into Barbados dollars?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currancy

No there are no charges for changing cash from pound sterling to Barbados dollars.

Sarah