We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer - please help....?

Bedford
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer - please help....?

Hi All,

First time trip to Barbados, always wanted to visit but have been busy flying east to the Maldives for the last couple of years.

We've got flights booked and am keen on booking a holiday rental and I have narrowed it down to a short list of 2 or 3 on the West and the same in the South.

We are late 30's - early 40's looking for a beach based week, swimming, snorkelling and lazing around. I'd like to incorporate a boat trip or 2 and also see a bit of the island.

We would like to visit a couple of the well rated (mid range) restaurants, and sample some bars but we will also want to self cater for part of the week. Ideally we don't want to hire a car, but may do for the odd day if necessary.

We would like to visit Oistins, but I'm concerned about getting home late if we miss the last bus (anyone know what time that is)? What would the taxi far be after midnight to Mullins area?

Should we stay West or South is my dilemma (as unfortunately I can't really find anything directly between the two)!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anniechoo.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer - please help....?

You'll be able to do your beach based week just as easily on the south coast or the west coast. Generally, the sea is calmer on the west than the south coast but that cannot be guaranteed. The south coast tends to have a bit more wave action than the west but there are areas where the snorkelling is good on the south coast.

You'll find it easy to book boat trips etc wherever you stay and most places will pick you up and collect. Bars and restaurants - plenty in the south around The Gap/Worthing/Hastings area and the biggest concentration of them is around Holetown on the west coast.

This probably isn't helping you choose! But you will have no problem getting around the island by bus/taxi/hire car. The buses stop running at around midnight. Taxi fare from Oistins to The Gap area would be about 20 BDS, about 30 BDS to Hastings but more to Mullins which is north of Holetown on the west coast - I'd guess at around 80 BDS but I haven't actually done that taxi journey so somebody else may have a more precise answer.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer - please help....?

I have a lot of helpful information with lots of pictures at on my tips. Check them out at: www.barbadostips.com

As far as where you will stay, pricing will depend on west coast (more costly), or south coast, (a little less costly). You will find more villas (including small ones) on the west coast, and more self-catering places on the south coast.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer - please help....?

Last bus from Oistins leaves at 12.30am and would get to the main road near the Gap about 5mins or so later. So you could get the last bus home from a night out at either location. This bus is marked Speightstown.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer - please help....?

Not sure of your budget but Southern Surf apartment hotel is across the road from a great beach with nice snorkelling and also the boardwalk. It's also within walking distance of several nice restaurants such as Champers and Tapas ( both on the sea) and cheaper places such as Just Grillin at Quayside, Berts, Bubbas and Bistro Monet. St. Lawrene Gap is only about 3 mins by bus or you could even walk. Oistins is about 10 mins away. If your budget allows, then Coral Sands is very nice and all rooms are self contained too. It's on a very calm stretch of beach and is also close to what I mentioned above. Oh, this is south coast I'm talking about. Coconut court has nice snorkelling too but I don't think their rooms have kitchen facilities.

5. Re: First timer - please help....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 06:18