We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Saturday 17th ...Gatwick and Heathrow are presently closed for all flights

Snowing heavily and forecast to continue until 9.00pm tonight

Officially Gatwick closed until 15.00 hrs but I suspect that is very optimistic

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Gatwick has apparently re-opened but the BA flight was cancelled. Still waiting to see if the Virgin flight goes - now scheduled at 3.45.

We're due to fly out tomorrow, so keep fingers crossed! (that's if we make it to the airport!)

worthing, sussex uk
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Due to fly out tomorrow too and so far the gatwick website says things are very delayed but operating. The Gatwick Virgin flight got away at 15.55 so thats great for those people who were delayed Fingers crossed for the morning.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

good luck to everyone.. I have a friend with her 2 children trying to get from Gatwick to Ireland.. doesn't seem to be having an easy time of it at all..

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

taxi coming at 6.30 so getting hopeful now! No more snow please!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Good luck to every body flying out of Gatwick and Heathrow, hope you can leave for Barbados as planned..........if the snow co-operates!! I watrched the news tonight and was surprised to see more snow for you guys!!! What is going on!! Seriously, I hope everybody gets to go, where they want to go, when they want to go. Good luck!!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Sunday 19th ...08.45

..Gatwick open and flying but according to a spokesman on the radio ..

...there could be big delays and some cancellations - mainly due to the fact that planes and crew are in the 'wrong place'

Good Luck everyone ...very envious!!!

Mike

Edited: 19 December 2010, 08:50
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Well we had to wait 10 days to leave the Uk for our BA holiday (1st Gatwick closure), but then we had an extra day in Barbados because we couldn't get home on Saturday.

The guy across the aisle from me crossed himself as we slid (like planes shouldn't) when we touched ground at Gatwick this morning but things looked to be returning to normal there.

BA have been treating us very well throughout (glad I bought a package holiday through an airline for a change). They seem to offering everybody the opportunity to rebook at no extra cost for a departure in the next 12 months (but that is fairly meaningless for people who hoped to have a tropical Christmas, I suppose).

Fingers crossed for everybody else who finds themselves stuck in the wrong place.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

well my friend heading to Ireland made it. finally.. Not sure if my bajan friends are in England yet, but I certainly do hope so.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Pleased to inform you all we made it to beautiful warm and sunny BIM! The airport was chaotic and we had to queue at the BA desk for over an hour - finally boarded the plane and sat on board while they de-iced which took well over an hour (due to 6 inches of snow on the wings!) - 2 hours late in the end, but who cares, we arrrived!

Feel very sad for the people who couldn't get out on the Saturday - apparently 2 planes were cancelled, so goodness knows if and when they will be able to get here. Our plane had very little spare seats, and only managed to take 7 more passengers. Looks like a lot of people will have all their Xmas plans ruined.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick ( & Heathrow) closed again

Glad you got away and arrived safely Sunshinegirl. Hope you have a fantastic time! Not jealous at all shivering away in the double digits lol!

Feel sorry for all those stuck in the Heathrow debacle, looks like chaos!