We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Hi everyone.

We've booked our first trip to Barbados in February for 10 nights - 5 nights at the Hilton, ending with 5 at Little Good Harbour.

As a young couple I figure we will be kept busy in the south coast at the Hilton resort, The Gap, etc but I see that LGH is a little more remote. One recent review suggests the beach is practically non-existent right now due to high tide. As such, I've rented a Moke and we plan to spend the latter half of our trip exploring the west coast.

-What are the best beaches near LGH, both within driving distance and walking distance (if any) ?

-What are some other local area restaurants? Preferably a cheap(er) price point (ie. NOT The Cliff, Tides). We will be eating breakfast everyday at the Fish Pot and the occasional dinner. I have Fisherman's Pub, East Moon, and Just Grillin' on my list so far.

-What are the nearby hotspots for evening drinks?

-Are there any must see/must do attractions in this area of the island?

Thanks so much for your insight!

Best Regards,

-Monty

Edited: 02 January 2011, 23:25
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

When the tide is high all beaches on the West Coast become narrow, not to worry. Actually the beach at LGH is quite good.

For anything else just go south towards Holetown and when you see a beach you like stop and go there. Otherwise just go to Holetown and enjoy the equally narrow beaches there. Really not a problem.

While in Holetown just take an easy walk around 1st and 2nd Avenues and look at the menus and their prices. Or you can just put inexpensive restaurants in the search box and you'll find pages of information.

Regardless of where you go or what you do you'll enjoy it.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 00:00
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Nearest beach is Heywoods/ Port St Charles. You could always go to Moon Town on friday night for a drink and food it like a smaller version of Oistins mixing visitors and locals. From LGH you can always cut across the island to the east coast try and get to Bath St John this is a lovely beach to swim. Lifeguard station there even though its on the east coast perfectly safe to swim there.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Cassareep and Wave Rider ....restaurants in Speightstown worth a try

We were very disappointed with Mangos by The Sea ...expensive and poor service but others speak highly of it

A bus ride/drive down to Holetown will give you ALL l sorts of options

For a quiet beach ...try Gibbes but LGH is a good base to explore the North & East coasts........ for sheer expanse try Morgan Lewis Beach

There is also the Animal Flower Cave and St Nicholas's Abbey and the Wildlife Reserve

....it really depends on what you enjoy doing

Have you looked in the panel on the LHS????

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

I would recommend Lonestar and Scarlet to eat at. I agree Heywoods is a nice beach close by. The beach looked pretty good at LGH when we were on hols in December, I know there have been some strong seas since them but I am sure the beach will be fine in Feb. As MDP suggested I would agree St.Nicholas Abbey is a great place to visit, maybe you could combine that with a trip to Bathsheba to have lunch on a Sunday or Wednesday at Atlantis (sister hotel to LGH, they do a great buffet lunch on these days!)

Edited: 03 January 2011, 12:51
Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

butterflysue, Where is Moon Town? We will be staying about 1 mile from Speightstown in Feb., is it in the general area, as I would like to go there?

Thanks

Perth, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Enjoy your trip to Barbados! Your mom filled me in!

This is one destination I'd like to go to too.

Missy Jane

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Moon Town is due north of Speigtstown and is not shown as such on any maps that I have seen and is basically a mini mart /bar/fish fry in the' village' of Half Moon Fort which is on most maps

Basically you take Highway 1B out of Speightstown ....go past Six Mens and then fork left to take the coast road to The Fish Pot / GLH

...carry on and you will eventually get to Moon Town/Half Moon Fort

Pretty sure I have seen a bus up there and the Transport Board schedule does show the 1C going to Half Moon Fort

There have been topics on here ...if you put Moon Town ( or Moontown) into the search box you will find something about it ...and it does show up on Google !!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

Thanks mdp963!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated.

10. Re: Little Good Harbour - Nearby Beaches/Restaurants/Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 07:41