We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibbs Bay Inn

Herts
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Gibbs Bay Inn

Hi, Just wondering if anyones been there, know anything about it, is it a good place to stay, seems quite close to the beach, hadn't heard of it until now and was wondering about staying there.

Thanks

Inch Marlow
Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

One of the the biggest problems that small hotels and accommodation providers have is the number of unregistered properties there are on Barbados.

It is a legal requirement that ALL accommodation providers are registered with the Barbados Tourism Authority. To be licensed you HAVE to meet all sorts of criteria which include health, safety and fire certificates, public liability insurance, undergo an annual inspection and pay a fee.

Sadly, the law is NOT enforced and scores, possibly hundreds of properties operate WITHOUT the necessary licence.

As a small hotel operator (with a licence) I implore all TripAdvisor

readers to double check with the Barbados Tourism Authority IF the property they are considering booking is in fact licensed.

Otherwise you have absolutely no recognised standards organisation that can assist in rectifying any shortfall in what is promised other than through local legal counsel.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

So...we are to assume that this place is unlicensed and unregistered? How did you find it supertrouper?

Its facebook page looks fine.

Edited: 22 January 2011, 21:18
West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Does any one know if this is a newly opened hotel/Inn at Gibbs Bay or any more detailed information?

I must say that the Gibbs Bay Inn's Facebook page and its website look absolutely beautiful and I am very tempted to book here too!

Essex UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Looks fabulous - I am sure all on the forum would be very interested in any feedback.....

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Gosh, just looked at the website and it looks beautiful What's up Adrian? frightened of a bit of opposition ??? Think that post was a little uncalled for !

Herts
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Hi, Mrs BB I came across it quite accidentally on the Owners Direct web site and thought it looked promising.

Have been to Barbados quite a few times and like the Gibbs Bay area so

was curious to find out if anyone knew anything about it. The website has some very attractive looking photos.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

I have actually been in contact with Gibbs Bay Inn and am looking in to booking for May.

Their response by e-mail was immediate!

Inch Marlow
Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Sadowner,

Not at all! We have survived, and some may say flourished, entirely by doing EVERYTHING by the board. You perhaps have no idea what it is like to go through all the hoops and hurdles from a bureaucratic point of view to achieve this.

I agree, the website looks beautiful and I honestly wish them every success in the world.

Our time is almost over and if one enduring legacy is left then it is that we will ALL compete on a level playing field.

Already we have have forced to compete with the disaster that is called GEMS, where MILLIONS of taxpayers funds have been used to systematically practice predatory pricing to the detriment of the private sector.

Are you saying that some of us should be subject to the law of the land and some not?

Isn't that a recipe for chaos?

south east
Level Contributor
935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Perhaps I am wrong, but this place looks very similar to somewhere I stayed many years ago - Newhaven Mansions. It was across the road from Gibbs (although this was not made clear to us) and it had a private access to the beach. Please correct me if I am wrong?

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gibbs Bay Inn

Sunshinegirl .... Yes, apparently Gibbs Bay Inn was previously called Newhaven Mansions but has been recently renovated and renamed.