We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

Peterborough
Level Contributor
302 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

I was wondering if the rain has had a negative impact on the Animal Flower Caves? There have not been many recent postings on them??

We are visiting the west side in late February and traveling around the island by bus. How difficult is it to get there?

World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

in early November, the caves were empty of 'flowers' as a result of Hurricane Tomas but we still enjoyed the visit including a roti at the one-of-a-kind rumshop/snack bar and cliffside walks to view the crashing waves. According to our guide, the 'flowers' were expected to be back 'in a few months' so maybe by February...?

Alberta
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

I can't speak to how the rain might have impacted the caves. But in general I think the trip would definitely be worth it. The caves are amazing in themselves. The ruggedness of the north east coast is such a contrast to the west and south coast. This in itself makes it worth the trip. There is a bus that will drop you very close to the caves but if I remember correctly it was quite a lengthy trip from the West Coast where we were staying.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

I was pretty underwhelmed by the animal flowers when we went in the cave but the seas had been rough before so maybe they had been washed away? However it's always worth a trip up there and we go every time because the view is stunning from the cliffs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

Ditto Almatt's response. The drive up is worth the trip. The scenery is beautiful. Northern Barbados is a must see.

BB

Peterborough
Level Contributor
302 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

Thanks to everyone for your input. We have booked with Ted's Tours for a day trip. Someone on TA suggested that the Animal Flower Caves is one of his stops??? We certainly want to see the north and east coasts for the scenery.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

We did St Nicholas Abby then the Flower Caves. I would def, do the caves again. When we were there the seas were rough and looking at the sea heave from inside was a blast. Especially when the sea poured into the cave. We then did the walk down the rugged east coast. No flowers though.

Suburb of Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

We visited the AFC in January 2010. There were no "Animal Flowers" in the caves at that time either. We were told high seas the week before washed them all out. We left wondering if there are ever anenome's in the cave any more and that's what they said to all the tourists. The cave is interesting none-the-less (don't expect to be in it very long as it's not that big), as is the view of the Atlantic from that area at northern most tip of the island and the very enjoyable drive to get there. As long as you don't go expect to see animal flowers in the cave I think you'll have a great time.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

We visted the caves a couple of years ago and there were only 2/3 flowers on show. I fear the bad weather could easily killed them off. That said the caves are worth a visit in any event if only to have the great view from the 'window' out to sea. I cant remember how much it costs to get into the cave but it was not very much.

9. Re: Animal Flower Caves - are they worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 12:18