We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new edgewater

long island n.y.
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
new edgewater

has anyone stayed at this resort. Also the hotel is on the east cost is there any difference of beaches.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new edgewater

The east coast is great as far as scenery, long sandy beach to walk, always breezy, but unless you are a very experienced surfer, you cannot swim here.

You would definitely need to rent a car.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new edgewater

I'm very familiar with this hotel and spent time there in the past and again a couple of years ago for a night for our anniversary.

The rooms have been modestly refurbished within the last 5 years but the one we stayed in was still fairly musty smelling with the inevitable sheen of salt spray on almost everything. It was just about acceptable, but not good. The view however was of course lovely though in the standard rooms you can only see the sea across a courtyard and I'd imagine you'd barely see it if you were on the ground floor.

The food and service could use a lot of work. We had a well-intentioned but completely clueless waitress who made one of our party stand up to unload the tray of food and distribute it to the rest of the diners! We saw it as funny, some might have become irate. The food itself was a la Barbados dining 20 years ago- greasy and unimaginative. We ate it all though and had a great time but possibly would have felt differently had we not been quite enjoying the rum punch!

Breakfast wasn't good.

In short, if you are looking for a total getaway, away from busy beaches on a budget then it might do. As has been said you can't swim here, it's very dangerous. But the pool is possibly the pool with the best view on the island. It takes a good 1/2 hour to get to the south or west coast, and that's only if you know exactly how to get there. Prepare to get lost. But that's part of the fun, or so I hear!

Barbados
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new edgewater

You might want to consider The Atlantis - lovely boutique hotel and restaurant on the east coast. www.atlantishotelbarbados.com This is very well run, has great food.

farmingdale,new york
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new edgewater

Are there a good choice of restaurants in the area to walk to? We're just looking for a 3 day getaway and don't want to do much. Also, is the rain forest a destination to visit?

Thanks!

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new edgewater

There are really no restaurants in the area other than at Roundhouse and Atlantis. There are a couple of little rum shop type of places but not any other more formal restaurants.

Not sure about what you mean by the rainforest. There's no rainforest here.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new edgewater

You might consider Little Arches on the south/east coast. It's a boutique hotel - gorgeous rooms. You walk across the street to Miami Beach, which is lovely and swimmable. The food at Little Arches (Cafe Luna) is excellent. You can get a taxi to Oistins for the fish fry -- cheap, but good food. Also you are not too far from the Gap (need a taxi), where you will find lots of restaurants.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new edgewater

I would only suggest the east coast for those who want to get away from civilization a bit - that coast is all about scenery, tranquility, village life etc. There will be salt spray on everything, and nothing will be fancy because of that. The exception at the moment might be Atlantis because it is very new and much fancier than most places that have ever been built on that coast until now.

On the east coast you truly feel like you have gotten away from real life. But you do give up many comforts and amenities. It really depends on what you want. East coast is wonderful for long walks, early risers, nature lovers, readers. Not so good for a relaxing swim, gourmet food and night life (unless you can find a rum shop with karaoke lol).

The east coast is always good for a visit, though, even if you don't stay there.

Wigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new edgewater

Every reply is dead right! One of those places that we like but couldn't honestly recommend to anyone else. Not that there is anything wrong with the place, it is just an aquired taste. Like the old Sugar Cane Club before that was done up.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new edgewater

I wouldn't discount Bathsheba as a 3 day break location. There is the new Railway Bar and Restaurant, a rum shop further up and Dina's bar and restaurant opposite the beach as well as - Atlantis, Round House and The Edgewater. There's also the Cove at Cattlewash if you fancy a short ride on the bus to somewhere different. As your only staying for a few days there's plenty to choose from all price ranges and you'll still find time to relax. Big up East Coast!!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new edgewater

<<<I wouldn't discount Bathsheba as a 3 day break location.>>>

I've been leaning in that direction for a brief stay on my next trip. Sea-u-Guest House looks like it's worth considering and I may give it a try this June for 3 days. Has anyone here had any experience with a stay there? The rooms looks great on the website and very reasonably priced, and include breakfast? Sue, I wouldn't discount the east coast either.