We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from first trip - report

Connecticut
Level Contributor
89 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from first trip - report

Just returned from first trip to Barbados. Prior to going, I spent a great deal of time reading this forum. I’m writing this to “pay it forward” in appreciation for everyone else’s help to me. We decided to stay at Bougainvillea Beach which is a wonderful resort. It’s not too big, it’s immaculate, friendly staff and comfortable accommodations. We had a studio with a fabulous view – room 3211. We preferred the smaller beach area although no complaints about either. We ate breakfast at the resort and dinner the first night at Waters Edge – not impressed with menu or service there although food was tasty. Breakfast was buffet only with made to order omelets – not an especially inspired buffet but it got the job done.

We rented a car through Stoutes – it had just arrived on the island the week before. One day we drove up the west coast, stopped at the Fish Pot for a great lunch and went to the flower caves and walked along the northern most tip of the island. Another day, we drove to the east coast, lunched at the Atlantis (owned by the same people as Fish Pot) – again a great restaurant. I was surprised at the traffic jams we encountered when trying to get back to the hotel in the late afternoon or head to the Gap area in the morning or anywhere near Bridgetown. We’ve been to many other islands and I honestly don’t remember ever encountering as much traffic and backups.

We did the Harrison Caves – I was not prepared for the feeling of claustrophobia as we rode the tram down into the earth. Husband and friends loved it – had I known what it was like would never have gone although it was magnificent to see.

Husband and friends did a trip on Jammin’ which they loved while I relaxed on the beach. They snorkeled and swam with the turtles and drank from 9:30 am throughout the day. Said it was a great trip – very well done.

Through Trip advisor, we ate at wonderful restaurants – not a bad meal the entire week! Second night we ate at Just Grillin – food was really good but no atmosphere to speak of – it’s in the parking area in front of a plaza – at least it was open air. Our criteria for the rest of the week was outdoors and preferably by the water.

Tapas was a beautiful setting and the food was excellent. Husband had flying fish and I had rack of lamb – both perfectly prepared. Had reserved prior to departure and sat upstairs at railing – fabulous location.

Then, Café Luna – rooftop at Little Arches hotel – a really beautiful setting. Food was excellent. Husband had the chicken – he said the best he ever had. The filet was cooked just right. This was our most expensive meal at $150 US – 3 drinks, shared appetizer, entrees, 1 dessert and coffee.

Next and best was Champers – again reserved a month ago – the atmosphere is fabulous, service excellent, presentation beautiful. I had the crab crepe as entrée rather than starter and was disappointed in the spiciness of it. We shared Caesar salad starter and husband had Barracuda which he said was great. The coconut pie for dessert was the best I’ve ever had – served warm – I was ready to go back just to have that again. With chocolate ice cream, coffee and 2 drinks, the bill was only $116 US.

Pisces was also good location, beautiful setting, excellent food. We both had a fabulous red snapper – perfectly cooked, shared starter of mozzarella and tomato which was excellent, 3 drinks.

Last night was Josef’s – again right next to the waves coming up against the rocks below. We shared an outstanding smoked chicken in puff pastry starter, I had teriyaki glazed salmon and husband had seafood penne pasta – both just perfect. 2 glasses of wine, coffee and ice cream - $117 US.

One day we went to Flying Fish for breakfast – which was excellent (the banana pancakes especially) and about ½ the price of Bougainvillea breakfast buffet, but too much traffic made it take too long and not worth going to every day – would rather pay more for food and have the time on the beach.

The weather was beautiful the whole week – it did rain every day – usually before 7:00 am but also sometimes in late afternoon (I saw rainbow 3 days on the beach when it was sunny but showering). The rain did not deter being on the beach or in the hammock or outside – it just happens for several minutes to maybe 15 minutes.

We loved the earthworks pottery – but we got there just as they were closing the door. They let us in for 5 minutes but it felt very pressured (although they were lovely to do that and we did buy several pieces). When they say closes at 5:00, they mean it!

All in all, a fabulous island – one where I would definitely return.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Glad you had a great trip, I enjoyed reading your report!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

So glad you enjoyed your trip The Bougainvillea is a great hotel on a lovely beach. So have you got the Barbados bug?

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Sounds like you did a lot on your first trip - and hit a lot of the best things. Still many more fantastic things to see and do for your next trip.

Sorry to hear the restaurant at Bougainvillea still is not up to speed. John Hazzard took over the restaurants January 8, I believe, so they are still working out the kinks. He is supposed to be one of the good chefs on the island, so I hope everything improves soon.

We've stayed at Bougainvillea many times and always love it - especially the wonderful staff.

Thanks for the great trip report.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Glad you enjoyed Barbados and the lovely eating places. Just Grilling does nice cheap and cheerful food but as you say lacks the atmosphere of the more expensive places. One of my favourites is Champers, I actually love the crab crepe, maybe they were a bit heavy on the seasoning with yours lol.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Its really nice to hear the trip review of some more satisfied visitors!!!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
299 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Thank you for your detailed trip report. We are headed there in two weeks and are getting really excited.

R & L

Peterborough
Level Contributor
299 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Thank you for your detailed trip report. We are headed there in two weeks and are getting really excited.

R & L

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Thanks for posting your trip report - it takes me right back there and cheered up a dismal grey Thursday. The Bougainvillea is lovely and you seem to have visited many of my favourite places. You are not wrong about the traffic!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
594 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

BWR,

Thanks for posting your trip report. We will be making our annual pilgrimage at the end of the month and can hardly wait.

About the traffic: was it bads on the east coast?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from first trip - report

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing :)