We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes

Hi

My husband and I are thinking about going to Barbados or Turks and Caicos in July. We were wondering where in the Caribbean would be good to go in July please?

Also is this a bad time for mosquitoes? They love me and I cant stand them!

Your advice is much appreciated.

thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes

If you prepare yourself with antihistamines and repellant you'll be fine. You can't let the little blighters spoil your hols!!!! Barbados is hot in July but there's always a breeze.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes

My wife and I always travel to Barbados in July. We find the climate very good. Yes you can get rain but not usually very much. That said last July we had two day's of very wet weather. One of the days we had a car and visited Harrisons Caves and Barbados museum so day not lost. The year before we had one bad day. Previous 2 trips no lost days. There may be a few drops of rain on other days but no big deal. Mosquitoes have a great taste for my skin/blood. They never touch my wife! I have had worse problems through out Europe however. Actually I have more problems in Barbados with sand flies who bite during the day. If you take the normal precautions , deet spray etc they should not be a problem.

The warm breeze does temper the heat and helps keep down the biting. We always stay at The Crane which on the south east coast ensuring Atlantic breezes but this would not be everyones choice because of its isolation.

I would say take a chance. I am sure you will love Barbados

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes

Quite honestly, across the whole Caribbean it will be hot and humid, which includes mosquitoes. So as suggested just stock up on a high concentration of Deet and antihistamines.

The only place guarenteed not to have mosquitoes that time of the year is the Antarctic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes

thank you for the replies! Much appreciated! Off to do research now as to where is best to stay etc! Excited now!

thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes

There is dengue fever in the caribbean so best to use spray in the early evening with deet. There were a few cases last July/August were a few residents died as a result of dengue but the government did undertake a spraying program to reduce mosquito populations.

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes

We are also considering Barbados and Turks, along with Aruba and were wondering the same thing regarding the mosquitos. The Dengue fever thing really worries me. I get bitten even while wearing Deep Woods Off.

We have been to St Marten the past 2 summers and they have been having a rough time with Dengue. I was very worried before we went. The first trip I never even saw a mosquito. Last summer it rained a lot while we were there and I did get a couple of bites. (thankfully not by an infected mosquito) But I can say that the mosquito issue was not even close to as bad as it is here in Dallas, TX where I get bitten every time I walk out of my back door during the summer.

Has anyone been to both St Marten and these other mentioned islands who can compare the prevelance of mosquitos?

Edited: 24 February 2011, 20:19
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
990 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes

If it bothers you that much look for an accomodation on the south coast. Where there is some wind you won't find mosquitos. Also, stay indoors after dark. I've only been there in June and never see them though.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes

"...the mosquito issue was not even close to as bad as it is here in Dallas"

Amen. Especially last year. We go to Barbados to get away from the little buggers ;-)

Last year, I would say Barbados fared much better than St. Marten did with dengue. There were some cases but only a few of the hemorrhagic type. Unfortunately, there were a couple of deaths but AFAIK they were in older folks in poor health. The island undertook an agressive spraying and education program which I think helped. But it's not really accurate to compare mosquito populations between islands because it's a seasonal thing. They come and go depending on local weather patterns.

Still, since last summer it has been rainier than usual in Barbados, which could lead to a greater number of mosquitoes this year. Hard to tell at this point. However, my recommendation is to not worry unnecessarily about dengue. Take the usual precautions as you do at home and the odds are extremely in your favor.

You're from an area where it's common to have mosquitoes 12 months out of the year. I think you'll find that it's just not that big a deal in Barbados. Keep in mind that (with due respect to our friends across the pond) most people on here don't encounter them often and it's more of a concern. Obviously, dengue is real and is serious but with proper precautions the odds of you contracting it are very, very low.

Remind me to tell you about the mosquito we saw last year in D/FW that was big enough to fly off with our cat ;-)

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitoes

Thank you! I appreciate the viewpoint from someone from the Dallas area. That helps me put it into perspective.

You had a mosquito pick up your cat? Wow is that all he could carry? I think ours could lift me! :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitoes

Sorry to high jack, but as a Dallas native, and by marriage the owner of a loving, yet large cat, I lol'ed at the last two posts. We are leaving for Barbados in two days, really looking forward to it. Cheers!