We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Well another week has gone by (or is it buy) speedily.

The weather is not behaving in the traditional manner. Most of the week has been sunny, with clouds, strong pleasant breeze but also scattered showers. Except Thursday, Friday and Saturday were more overcast and much more rain, though the sun does come out, it’s better than being home in the snow and cold. Mind you the rain isn’t enough to spoil anything, just take it into consideration.

Beaches are still great, more wave action on the south coast and quite calm on the west coast. The boardwalk is great to walk, Blakey’s is drawing quite a crowd on the west side of the boardwalk and the menu looks quite appetizing. Haven’t tried it yet but might do so eventually. Tapas is doing a booming business and the staff are there quite early getting ready for the day and Alfredo is seen around making sure things are done just so. There are people snorkelling in the lagoons towards the west side, there are small fish to see though it’s a small area but great for just relaxing and safe for children as the rocks really cut any wave action or creation of undertow. Spent time at the Yacht Club with some friends, Carlisle Bay was quite busy with all sorts of tourist boats, the Boat Yard had a number of people there and many were just walking the beach and enjoying themselves, even in the overcast skies and scattered showers.

Ate at Bert’s Bar with friends and some enjoyed really delicious ribs and others pasta which was preceded by a fisherman’s platter appetizer tray, with Banks for the men and he ladies enjoyed their daiquiris. Service was laid back and just what we wanted, it was a Monday so the screens had a variety of sports on for those wishing to indulge. Went back to Café Flindt where we had an excellent lunch. I had the Costa Salad with blackened dolphin (mahi mahi) and my Lady had the Cream of Asparagus Soup and the Spring Rolls all accompanied with ice tea and dessert was a mango cheese cake (shared) just absolutely delicious. Friday’s lunch at the Yacht Club was quite good with flying fish cutters while relaxing under the trees on the beach.

Saturday was a really tough evening, but someone had to do it. Thirteen of us went to a Wine Tasting and meal at Mulligans, which is the Rockley Golf Course Restaurant. The “event” included a tasting of 6 wines, 3 white and 3 red, an explanation of what we tasted and then each person chose their favourite wine and got that bottle. The meal was a roast pork, chicken, king Fish, salad and veggies, yam pie, rice & peas, potatoes everything was just right. In between the description of the wines there was music and a game of naming the song and singer, the winner got a bottle of wine. After there was dancing and a good time was had by all. The price was a very reasonable $80 Bds per person. Needless to say breakfast Sunday was quite small.

Shopping was also on the menu this week and we went back to Lime Grove, Ralph Lauren where I picked up a shirt. Quite the shopping experience, Marie the sales lady was extremely welcoming, extremely helpful and charming in only the way Bajans can be. Though there was quite a selection she went out of the store to their stock area, another building and brought back a bag full of different types and colours of shirts. A very pleasant and enjoyable experience, it’s well worth a visit even if you don’t intend to get anything. My Lady went to Beth & Tracie just across the street and found some great dresses made with the local Sea Island cotton which is of a very high quality but alas decide to forego any purchase for the moment.

Posh Nosh was also well worth the visit. Situated right behind the Texaco Station in Holetown it has quite the selection of prepared foods, ready to eat or frozen plus a variety of sauces, mixes and all sorts of goodies. We did pick up a shepherd’s pie based the recommendation of someone in the store who claimed that it was better than his mothers or his wife’s (who was beside him and who agreed) we have yet to try it but will soon.

Due to the overcast skies and rain on Saturday we went for a ride up to Speightstown, visited the Art Gallery and then walked around, met some friends who were doing the same thing so had a beer or two at Fisherman’s Pub which was very quiet and just relaxed.

Golf, Rockley and Sandy Lane are all in excellent condition considering the rain, which has contributed to making everything so green and lush.

Driving has been quite pleasant as there has not been as much traffic as usual between 9 and 3 (during the day). We’re used to much more waiting, even going through Bridgetown on Thursday it was very easy, quite different.

Well it’s time for a dip in the pool then off for another week. The sun is shining, the breeze is great, just another day in paradise.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Nice report Canby sounds like you've adjusted well to 'Bajan Time'

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Great to hear what you've been up to, enjoyed reading your report thanks!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,394 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Hey Canby, I can tell you that it is very dangerous having Limegrove at the bottom of your road !!! I called into the Hallmark card shop to buy a gift bag and accidently took a wrong turning !------------------the result being the purchase of a new dress and a further one the day after Whoops ! Ladies, check out "Etteza " and take your credit card.

Also, if you like Sushi look for the Japanese food shop------------Oh Bliss.

Canby , next time you're up west, let me know.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

OKay, will PM you when we head out that way. It's usually an unplanned trip. So if you're around fine.

Yes, also looked at Singapur for their delicacies (I think it's spelled that way) and we'll have to try Nishi sometime.

Off to the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

anyone know if this is the same blakey that had the place in the gap for years???

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Next time we go by I'll find out.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Canby, I would probably have seen you at the Yacht Club on Friday, as I go there almost every Friday, except that this past Friday I happened to be in Trinidad.

Glad your trip has been going so well so far ....

Ontario
Level Contributor
708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Thanks Canby - great update! Now if you could only post a picture or two!

:-D

Newcastle
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Hi Rootsie,

Yes, its owned by the same people who had the Blakeys that used to be in the Gap years ago and it seems to be doing very well.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants, Beaches, Shopping and Weather

Canby, Glad to hear you are having a good time. We too are in Barbados, and have been here since Jan 17th, we go home March 21. Our first 5 weeks were on the South Coast in Rockley in a bungalow, about a 5 minute walk from Rockley Beach. It was our 4th time in the south, and we love the area. We are now close to Mullins Beach, in a Chattel House on the sea, first time on the west coast. I agree, the weather hasn't been the same as usual for this time of year. More rain and rougher seas, the beach at Mullins and in front of us has been rough... the surf has been high, and Mullins Beach had their sun beds out to day, for the first time in a week. A few days ago people were surfing at Mullins Beach....amazing... they had some huge waves!! I know there has been an ongoing discussion as to which is better, south coast or west coast, and I will now make my vote, based on what I have experienced at this time......... and, I have to vote for the south Coast!!

I'm sure you will enjoy the rest of you vacation!