We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtles at tamarind cove

belfast
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
turtles at tamarind cove

Hi

We are heading to Tamarind cove at Easter with my husband and 2 children aged 8 and 10yrs. Can you swim with the turtles from this beach or do we need to take a boat ride? I had heard that the boats stop just in front of the hotel for visitors to swim with the turtles, just want to know if its worth our while to pay for a trip.

Thanks

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

Hi, you can swim out to the turtles yourself and they do often swim in the shallows too, I found later in the afternoon, if you head north on Paynes Bay past the St.James you can see them sometimes over the shallow reefs.

When we have stopped on Paynes Bay we have still done the Catamaran trips, just because we really enjoy them, it is a fun day out and I would imagine your children would love it.

So in answer to your question not necessary to see the turtles but a great day out. I would also say it depends how strong swimmers the children are, it is a little way out and it can be busy with boats etc, I would make sure you have snorkelling vests for them and a marker if you are snorkelling deep out. The great thing on the boat is the guys watch out for your safety and provide life jackets so then you don't have to worry about the safety aspects.

belfast
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

Thanks for the quick reply. we did the catamaran trip in St Lucia and the kids did love it so maybe that's the safest option.

Thank you

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

You are welcome! I can highly recommend Cool Runnings for a catamaran trip if you decide to take a lunch cruise to see the turtles.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

We went to Paynes Beach and snorkelled out ourselves. So it can be done. There were many boat tours out there feeding the turtles so they were plentiful. Only problem is that it is a bit of a swim out there, a little further than it looks. I had a bit of a problem on the way back as the current seemed to be working against me. I did have a floaty with me so that helped. I was with my 8year old daughter and had to help her into shore as well as she was tired. Another problem is that there are a number of glass bottom boats, jet ski's flying around out there as it is possible for someone to get hit. I would probably spend the cash and take a cat tour. It is probably safer. Even on Maxwell beach there are Jet Ski rentals and I carefully watch my kids as I am not sure the people renting are really watching out for bobbing heads.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

I have done it myself with my kids - but they are older. We took a body board with us to rest with on the way! However, I am not sure I would recommend it. I think you are probably better using one of the boat guys (glass bottom or similar) to take you out. It is quite a swim, particularly for children and as others have said, there are quite often a number of boats and jet skis to negotiate.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

Agree with previous that catamaran trip is good value and excellent to swim with sea turtles. If you also want a safe place to snorkel and see lots of colourful fish visit the Folkstone marine park, just past St. James' church in Holetown. The coral area has buoys around it to keep boats etc out. There is a car park and the buses stop there. There are also picnic tables and plenty of shaded areas.

belfast
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

Thanks for all the replies i will check out cool runnings. At our local beach there was a horrendous accident with jet skis coming into close and unfortunately a young child died so i am very cautious about that. Our 2 spend most of the day in pools anyhow! Will remember the tip about the marine park as they did try snorkelling in St Lucia a bit younger then and i think they will be a bit braver this year. Its me that's the problem they can out swim me any day!!

8. Re: turtles at tamarind cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 00:16