We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Food with us to Barbados

Virginia Beach,VA
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Food with us to Barbados

We are traveling to Barbados for the first time in April. I would love to know if we should freeze and pack meats/lunch food. We will be staying at Surfer's Point in ChristChurch. Thanks!

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

I have not been to Barbados before but we are going in July and we like to take our own meats when we go to the Caribbean, so I have researched this quite extensively.

I believe from what I have read on TA and looking online at the the Barbados grocery stores, that you can get anything you would want in the local grocery store. So it is a personal preference.

You must have a Passenger Meat Permit (form available online) to bring meat into Barbados. It cost $15 and must be paid with an international money order available from the post office. For us, it is worth it but for others, it might not be worth the hassle.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

We take tea bags and coffee and a few convenience foods to get us started until we can get to the supermarket. You will be able to buy most foods at the supermarket although slightly more expensive than home. Not worth using up the luggage weight allowance.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
299 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

You will be able to buy most foods in Barbados but you need to go early in the day to get the best selection of fresh meat at the super centre. We stayed at a self serve and took- cereal, coffee, tuna, salmon, crackers, nuts, small jar of peanut butter, small jar of mayonnaise, packages of rice and noodles for fast easy preparation. This left room for our souvenirs when we came home.

.The New Zealand cheese is delicious!!!

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

I think part of the fun of going to a new place is trying out the foods unique to that area. There are lots of great grocery stores you can choose from. We like the Supercentre chain around the island. They have a wide variety of local and international foods, and also a "take-away" counter for cooked meals - all very inexpensive. I always love going to a grocery store when we visit new places to see the unique things they have to offer. You can easily get all of the items you are thinking about bringing with you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

I've brought frozen meat into Barbados with a meat permit since in the past I've been disappointed with the quality and selection of meat available in the grocery stores. We pre froze the meat and packed it in a cooler. Customs took a quick look in Barbados at the cooler and meat permit and waved us through. The meat stayed frozen when we arrived at our villa and just put it in the freezer, ready to use.

Alternatively there are some companies in Barbados who will deliver good quality meat that is imported from the US to your villa, although there is a premium for this.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

Big B and Supercentre Warrens but usually have decent chicken and us beef available. The chickens here may not be the hormone-inflated "perfect" looking chickens that you would find in the us or Canada but I'd rather have the ones we get here any day to those ones any day. It's a matter of personal preference of course if you don't mind going to the trouble of a meat permit and freezing meat and hoping it will still be ok once you arrive but I personally don't think it's worth it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

It is very easy to transport frozen meat to Barbados and it will stay frozen. I've done this and it did not thaw one bit in a five hour flight plus pre take off time and getting to the villa.

8. Re: Bringing Food with us to Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:16