We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dengue fever

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
dengue fever

Does anyone know how many serotide types of dengue fever are present in Barbados. I've had dengue twice from a Barbados holiday, would love to come back but I'm terrified as dengue is not nice at all. I know that there are four serotypes, and if Barbados should only have two out of the four then I'm done and dusted. But if Barbados has all four types, I just can't risk it.

Are there parishes with a low rate of dengue cases?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dengue fever

Probably best if you contact the Barbados Health Authorities, they probably can tell you. Just go to the government website for the contact information.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dengue fever

I doubt any parishes have a lower/ higher incidence of dengue, the island is too small and the weather is the same across the board. I've certainly never heard of any parish being less prone to it than another. If it's any consolation there doesn't seem to be a dengue breakout at the moment, I'm not hearing a thing about it. Maybe plan a trip put of the rainy season when odds of getting bitten are less. There's not many mosquitoes around right now at all.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: dengue fever

I have seen them spraying for mosquitos on many visits. We always use a repellant with deet.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dengue fever

i can't speak to your question about the different strains but i will add that i have also had dengue which i contracted while living in trinidad in a very posh neighbourhood. they had bred in the small creek of water that ran alongside the property and although they were actively spraying, i was bitten.

having said that, i also lived in barbados and have travelled back 2 -3 times a year for 20 years and have not been exposed to it there. i understand your fear though as dengue is horrid. if you do decide to go, use spray with strong deet and be cautious at sundown and during the rain as mentioned. good luck with your research...i'd love to know if you find anything out.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dengue fever

Only the Health Authorities can answer your specific question about types

...athough Wiki has some fairly detailed info ...accuracy ..???

To answer your second question ...consider this Wiki extract on 'prevention' .....

There are currently no approved vaccines for the dengue virus.[1] Prevention thus depends on control of and protection from the bites of the mosquito that transmits it.[11][23] The World Health Organization recommends a Integrated Vector Control program consisting of five elements: (1) Advocacy, social mobilization and legislation to ensure that public health bodies and communities are strengthened, (2) collaboration between the health and other sectors (public and private), (3) an integrated approach to disease control to maximize use of resources, (4) evidence-based decision making to ensure any interventions are targeted appropriately and (5) capacity-building to ensure an adequate response to the local situation.[11]

The primary method of controlling A. aegypti is by eliminating its habitats.[11] This may be done by emptying containers of water or by adding insecticides or biological control agents to these areas.[11] Reducing open collections of water through environmental modification is the preferred method of control, given the concerns of negative health effect from insecticides and greater logistical difficulties with control agents.[11] People may prevent mosquito bites by wearing clothing that fully covers the skin and/or the application of insect repellent (DEET being the most effective).[13]

..so it would appear that you stand less chance of finding the mossies in areas where there is no standing water ..either as rivers/drains or even water butts or similar ...

...so the drier times of the year and drier parts of the island would be a better bet

Edited: 03 April 2011, 16:55
6. Re: dengue fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 03:15