We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

Guelph, Ontario...
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

We're debating which resort to stay at.

It will be my wife, our seven year old son and I. We're looking at end of May/beginning of June. We would want two double or queen beds + at least a fridge if not a kitchenette.

We are beach people as opposed to pool people. Entertainment is not a big deal at all. Having good quality but affordable restaurants close to, if not at the resort, is important to us.

We don't want to rent a car and would prefer to walk to restaurants or [less favourably] take local busses to restaurants. Maximum walking distance we would want would be ten minutes.

Please help us choose. :)

Thank you in advance for your advice and replies.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

First I would try and convince you to rent a car no matter where you stay. The flexibility to travel the island on your own schedule and explore really adds to the Barbados experience. If I couldn't convince you then I'd recommend Southern Palms.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

both are great resorts but southern palms would be easier to walk around with; especially with a young one in tow. there are lots of options for eating and shopping in the gap so my choice would also be southern palms.

London, United...
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

I've never stayed at the Bougainvillea but I've heard some very good reports about it, I've stayed at The Southern Palms a few times now and would highly recommend it. I think for the sheer convenience of being in the Gap, on a lovely stretch of beach, very close to a wide variety of bars and restaurants I'd choose Southern Palms, I think it's probably more suited to you given that you don't want to walk long distances. The Bougainvillea is a good 15-20 minute walk from the popular bars and restaurants in the Gap and I'm not sure that you'd want to do that walk with a seven year old after dark.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

I also would have to say Southern Palms for convenience but the Bougainvillea has factors that make it attractive. They have kitchenette/full kitchens in all their rooms you could get a 2 bedroom suite if you want, there are a lot more children at the Bougainvillea and perhaps more facilities geared to families. Difficult choice.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

I agree pretty much with all that has been said. I have stayed at both and would happily return to either.

For just going out and strolling to a variety of restaurants then S Palms is better placed.That said, it is a cheap taxi ride from the Boug to The Gap and you could use bus there and taxi back. You can walk along the beach but mightn't want to do that with a 7 year old and/or in the dark .... and it takes about 20 mins.

Another factor which would tip me towards S Palms .... the bar area is so much better in the evenings than it is at the Boug.

However, the bed arrangement at the Boug may suit you better:- at S Palms you tend to get (in the garden and ocean view rooms) either 1 king or 1 double and a single bed. At the Boug we have had 2 doubles. At S Palms (unless you book a suite) you will have a fridge and a kettle. The Boug has much more in that regard - fridge/freezer, microwave, hob, toaster, crockery, cutlery.

Pros and cons to both hotels I think - for a first visit (if it is) to Barbados I might just incline towards S Palms on the basis of its location but you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.'

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

I've been to both and if the room itself is a factor then I think bougainvillea has nicer rooms and better maintained publc areas. Southern Palms needs a bit of tlc IMO.

7. Re: Bougainvillea or Southern Palms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:18