We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Tampa, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Barbados at the end of May. We are young and active and would like to get out and walk and explore the area. We would like to be close to the gap for the nightlife there. We are considering an oceanview room at the Hilton or the Accra. The price is about the same and about the most we are willing to pay for a room. As far as I can tell they both have great beaches/pool areas, but I am concerned about reviews I have seen about the run down condition of the Accra. Can someone please comment on their experience at either of these hotels? It appears the Accra is closer to the gap which is a plus. Does anyone know if there is a place to rent a moke for the day at or near the Accra? Also, can you offer some suggestions for lunch and dinner in this area($30-40 USD each for dinner would be fine) . Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

The Accra's location is wonderful -- across from a mini outdoor mall with a Just Grillin fish place, a convenience store, souvenir shop, and a Chefette that's open until quite late. You also have access to busses right outside the hotel's door and a little taxi stand; it's typically easy to get a cab-- unless their in the midst of a hot card game. From this location you can easily reach Oistin, Bridgetown, Holetown and Speghtstown via bus. You may want to speak with the hotel and see if they can guarantee you a room in the newly build wing. The rooms are like new. But here is the problem a certain number of these rooms face an abandoned lot that's not at all attractive. When we stayed there we faced this situation, but we could care less because we only slept and showered in our room. The Accra's beach is far superior to the Hilton's. Locals bathe there and there's a little outdoor market of food and craft vendors right on the beach. The surf pounds --which I really enjoy. For a calmer beach you can take a quick bus over to Miami/Enterprise bay and go for a calm swim. Be warned, the traffic to and from the Accra can be murder at times -- particularly in the evening hours when everyone is running to the Gap.

The Hilton's standard rooms are wonderful. Unless you really need to open the balcony door and hear the sound of rushing water it's no great difference between the bay view and the ocean view. In fact the bay view is more interesting, because you can see Bridgetown, the cruise port and a bit in land. The Hilton, however is a cookie cutter hotel that is tucked away up hill away from the main street. But, the hotel's rooms are clean, well appointed and exceed my expectations per advertising. As far as transportation you will most likely find yourself taking a taxi most if not every place you go. I often planned on walking up or down the hill but I often found the temps too hot and a walking too time consuming. So, I depended on cabs. You will always get a cab at the Hilton as well. Finally, I don't like the Hilton's beach. It's mostly surrounded by a man-made rock wall that obstructs most of the horizon and creates a smaller lagoon. However, you can go across the street to Carlisle Bay -- which is a calm swimmable area.

I suggest that if you plan on lounging by the pool all day and sipping cocktails and only venturing out in the evening, the Hilton may be better. However, if you really want to be a bit more adventurous, have access to busses and local fare, Accra it is. For a first time visit, I think that Accra offers an experience that's closer to the "real" Barbados.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your stay in Bim.

BB

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

very well put BB...for me it would be accra for location. you are right at rockley beach where there are food vendors and a great stretch of beach. the waves are not unswimmable...just a bit of fun action. it is also the beginning of the boardwalk which goes almost to the hilton. it's considerably closer to the gap, restaurants, shopping and nightlife.

car rentals are plenty and will be delivered to your hotel. have a search on the forum and you'll find lots of advise on which companies people prefer.

there are several restaurants in the area within walking distance. champers is a beautiful upscale restaurant at the left side of rockley beach; across the road is jus grillin' as mentioned; shakers (a TA fav) is up the road from bubba's...about a 10 minute walk away. bubba's is a sports bar with typical pub fare; bert's bar is a 10 minute walk the other way. they have a great happy hour and is owned by the owner of the ottawa senators hockey team so it's also a sports bar. there's also another spot that i love just up the road beside quayside centre...the name escapes me but it's an old plantation home that has been restored and has live music sometimes on the weekend with a big breezy wraparound porch for al fresco dining.

hope this helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Thanks, Rootsie.

At $30 to $40 USD each for dinner you will have many options. If you stay at Accra Campers is near by. The Gap has a few choices, inluding Pisces, where you may get a meal under $40USD. As Rootsie mentioned, Just Grillin' is across from Accra hotel. Pun de Grill in the Gap is very reasonably priced "local" style option. Of course there are cheap food (like Oistin and fast food options like Chefette. The stalls next to Accra serve inexpensive take away meals you may get a plate of local food at many rum shops. For a little bit more $, you should be able to get a main course at Champers (located a few yards east of Accra) for under $40USD each. Brown Sugar, situated just outside of the Hilton Hotel complex, serves local and locally-inspired dishes for under $40USD per person.

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
987 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Here now. Anyone able to help with name of place in previous comment - that i love just up the road beside quayside centre...the name escapes me but it's an old plantation home that has been restored and has live music sometimes on the weekend with a big breezy wraparound porch for al fresco dining'

Newcastle
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

ske

The bar beside the Quayside Centre used to be called The Cocks Inn but is now named Rootz..

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
987 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Thanks. Will go and have a look!

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
987 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

Found Rootz on facebook. Looked good!

Walked up and found it tonight. Bailiffs came in Dec 2010 and closed!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

oh no! i loved that place!

9. Re: Hilton vs Accra Beach Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 14:17