We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin atlantic or british airways

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
virgin atlantic or british airways

hi i am thinking of going to butterfly beach hotel next february

the only decision i have to make is which airline to fly. what has best leg room and space and comfort? i will be going gatwick to barbados thanks

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

There is little difference between the 2. I prefer BA however that is really a personal preference. What you should really consider is how you are going to travel to Gatwick? I assume fly from Glasgow and in the circumstances BA will provide a free flight to London and you will have the comfort of knowing any delays will be their responsibility.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
214 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

Hi Krissi,

I agree with Dunnedg, for slightly differant reasons, I found the service on BA to be far higher, this may sound a bit of a rant, but we received 2 drinks on Virgin before it became self service, so no problem a walk will help break the flight up only to find there was no alcholic drinks available, sorry if this sounds petty but after all im already on holiday. On the return night flight, a few drinks helps me snooze for a couple of hours, only to find the bar closed after 1 drink.

On BA the flight attendent, left me a 750ml of nice red after I asked for a refill. On the flip side the missis prefers Virgin because of there nice red outfits and lovley TV adverts.

Steve.

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

BA have too many strike threats so I avoid them where possible. It's not that I have lost a flight but it is stressful waiting until the issues are resolved.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

It is BA for me ...flown once with Vigin 2 years ago ...and only a really competitive price or better availability would persuade me to do so again

Leg room is about the same ....but ( depending on the plane used) I found the BA seats more comfortable

You can purchase the exist seats on both airlines but to get the Virgin ones you had to go( in 2009) to Gatwick

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

I always fly with Virgin - mainly because they come up cheapest everytime I look!

I'm not sure there's a huge amount of difference, the Virgin flights leave early than the BA flights, either way, the important thing is that it gets you to Barbados!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

BA strikes are a worry but the current dispute has no effect on Gatwick flights so not an issue.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

I personally fly with Virgin as I can collect/use airmiles where as with BA you need to be paying a high fare to qualify for the miles. Also, they leave LGW earlier and BGI later, so you get an extra hour or so in Barbados lol.

Seat pitch should be the same, 31".

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

4 engines are better than 2 IMO! So Virgin gets my vote! Lol. Apart from that I've found their cabin crew great and, to me, the premium economy seats feel more spacious than ba's prem Econ too. I thought the economy seats felt about the same. I've personally just had better experiences in recent years with Virgin than BA in terms of comfort, staff and overall service. I used to be a big BA fan but last couple of times I found the cabin crew not nearly as friendly as Virgin.

Downside to Virgin can be that, because of the earlier departure time, it can be a harder flight to catch if you have to get to Gatwick via a flight from elsewhere.

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

thank you to everyone who answereed my queriey. Thank you all !!!! as usual it all came down to price !!!! BA came out a lot cheaper so i will have to go with them. and inthe meantime i am being kept up to date with cheap upgrading of seats with my travel agent for extra legroom !!! Thanks to all who took trouble to reply x

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: virgin atlantic or british airways

I have flown both and found no real difference. Slightly longer to get drinks on Virgin, that's all, so I think you did the right thing by deciding based on price. However, contrary to what glittergirl said above, I usually book the cheapest fixed-date no-changes BA flights and still get BA miles - which is useful since I fly BA a lot more around Europe and its bumped my BAmiles up a treat!