We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
341 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

Just returned from GCM and loved the beach at 7 mile. Next trip will be for 5 nights over Labor Day and looking for somewhere with more of a “Caribbean vibe”. Barbados has been on the “list” for sometime and it looks like a good island to visit during hurricane season. No need to suggest the ABC Islands – been there (Aruba and Curacao) done that and no interest in doing it again!

No need for a high end place, just somewhere to chill and enjoy the sun and beach. We love to beach bar hop and want to be close to the Gap. Is Bougainvillea to far of a walk if we are doing it daily? Is there that much difference between the three hotels? Can’t imagine anywhere will be too busy this time of the year, but then again will everything be “shuttered”. We had planned on Tortola for this trip, but it seems like the island shuts down during late Aug. early Sept. How is Barbados this time of year?

Thanks for all of your help. FYI - Barbados picked because we are using AA pts and hotels picked because using AmEx points.

rupacked

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

I would say Southern Palms for location just a 5 min walk to the Gap.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

I would also say Southern Palms or one of the apartments in the Gap they sometimes offer great value.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

Barbados doesn't shut down in the same way as you have described happens elsewhere. We have noticed that some hotels and restaurants close in Sept and early Oct for refurb etc but in August and early part of September I don't think you'll notice much difference from normal. There will still be plenty of places open and you can get some good deals as it is low season there.

The humidity can be quite high especially in the evenings we have found at the time of year you are considering and, as you are aware, there is a hurricane risk - relatively lower than for other Caribbean islands but a risk nontheless.

I have stayed at S Palms and Bougainvillea and would go to either again quite happily. There are a few threads on here comparing the pros and cons of the two if you use the search box at the top of this forum page you should find them. A couple are quite recent. For access to bars etc S Palms is the best placed of the three you suggest. I haven't stayed at Coral Sands but have had a look round last time with a view to staying there in the future. It is, in my opinion, the best of the three in terms of quality of rooms and furnishings etc. It is set up for self catering (as is the Boug). There are a couple of beach bars very near to Coral Sands and other places within easy walking distance to other places and easy access to bus routes. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the three places you have mentioned in your post.

London
Level Contributor
469 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

We have stayed several times at Coral Sands and loved it. There are only 31 rooms at CS so perhaps quite a bit smaller than the other two hotels you mention. I also think the beach that CS is situated on is one of the loveliest, although the other hotels are on glorious beaches too, they usually have more wave action than the ocean around at Coral Sands (Sandy Beach). Two great beach bars are minutes along the beach from CS, Crystal Waters and The Carib for tasty food, snacks and drinks. Nice friendly vibe with a good mix of locals and visitors, which makes for a jolly time. You are within 5-10 min walk from St Lawrence Gap if you turn right when you come out of Coral Sands, or to Hastings if you turn left. Near Big B supermarket to stock up on groceries, and a bus stop right outside.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
341 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

Thanks for everyone's input - trip is booked for early October and we are staying at Coral Sands. Looking forward to our first trip to Barbados.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

Have fun....you will love Barbados!!

7. Re: Labor Day ok? Bougainvillea, Southern Palms or Coral Sands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 05:17