We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Orpington, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

I have been doing loads of research and can't decide if Barbados in September is a good idea. I am not concerned about hurricanes or temperature, only the rain.

Some say it rains often and for a short period, some say it rains a lot most days, some say it is a short burst which dries up quickly after 30mins or so, and someone has also said restaurants shut down and it is dead at that time of year.....SO CONFUSED!!!

Anyone been there in September who can give a sensible answer....????

Thanks so much!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Everything you've stated is true.

The weather is hot and humid and it's the middle of the rainy season, which means you can have small, brief but heavy rain showers which are usually localised to certain areas on the island. If there's a tropical depression you will have cloud cover and rain. You will also have sunshine, certainly 100% sunshine.

Some restaurants do shut down to refurbish and update themselves, some give staff time off and others just take the time to regroup and get ready for the upcoming season.

The real question is....What do you want to do? Just go to the beach, not a problem, play golf, not a problem, unless it rains a lot, visit certain tourist attractions such as Harrisons Cave etc, just contact them to make sure they're not doing maintenance.

Most restaurants are open but some are definitely closed. So those you might be interested in, contact them via e mail or go onto their web site and see if they're closed for that period.

Otherwise Barbados is fully open for fun and relaxation.

Hope this helps.

Orpington, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Thank you Canby, this is most useful. I guess my concern is paying a lot of money for a 2 week holiday and spending a lot of time undercover due to rain.....

Wrexham
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Weve been twice for two weeks, only have lost one day due to bad weather, the were showers on other days but its beautiful most of the time and a great place to be

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

The weather would not be my concern as much as what is closed. Many of the top restaurants close to refurbish and also to give their staff holidays when business is at its lowest.

Also, many of the top hotels close for the same reason and do not reopen until mid-October.

A few years back we went the last week in September - stayed at our timeshare. Gorgeous weather. At that time they were not closing a lot of the restaurants the way they have done in recent years.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Where are you thinking of staying? I think the west coast seems to have more closures during September, so go for the south. We go every October but actually going last week September this year this was to get flights that were on offer.

How long are you going for? we go for nearly 3 weeks and an odd day of rain just doesn't matter to us but if you are going for a week and you have to take travelling out of that, I can understand the concern because of the cost. No one can say what the weather will be like....but it will be warm and it will be fun.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Restaurants that I've known to close around September/ October in recent years have been the Cliff and 39 Steps. It's really not as widespread as it seems. Maybe it's more of a west coast happening but I go out regularly for dinner year round and am not usually confronted with a lot of places all closed at the same time. Granted, I don't often go to the west coast as it's a bit of a drive for us, and also the restaurants are quite quiet during those months, but they are for the most part open. I'm sure they all have their closures scheduled by now so I'm sure a quick email to the places you are interested in visiting should give you a good idea of what's open and what's not open this year.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Many things on the west coast are closed and the weather can be iffy, I would go at another time.

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

I went last september, and the weather was predominantly sunny with the odd shower most days(but as stated these tend to be short lived and dont cause any problems to sun worshippers!!!) we did have 2 days that were mostly rain and overcast, but in the main i would say most days were 80 to 90% sunny, and even when rain/overcast its still in high 20's so its not major prob.

As for restaurants, we stayed on south coast and didnt have too many problems with closures, tapas and champers were both open and very nice, harlequin and pisces in the gap the same, Bubbas and berts for more pub type grub, and just grillin and oistins fish fry for excellent value local cuisine!!!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
99 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

I lived in Fitts Village on the west coast all of September 2009, and the nice Italian restaurant Il Tempio there was closed until October. Very nice weather most days and went swimming in the sea just about daily.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should i go to Barbados in September - Help needed!!!

Good news .... Il Tempio in Fitts Village is only closing for about 2 weeks in September this year.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 04:19