We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escape at the Gap closing ?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Escape at the Gap closing ?

Rumour has it that The Escape At The Gap is closing?

Anyone know anymore about this?

I've only stayed there once,however it is a special place for me as it is where i met the Lady that is now my Wife ;(

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Hi - not heard anything about EATG - however is it possibly being confused with Time Out at the Gap??

There has been a recent article in the paper that Time Out at the Gap & Savannah Hotel are no longer part of the Gems of Barbados chain and are being taken over by another hotel group.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Looks like Time out at the Gap and the Savannah are being leased to an established hotel company by the government. Business as usual and they are upgrading the hotels.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

I'm not sure they are an "established hotel company" (or maybe they are) but at least one of the leasers (is that the correct word and spelling) is Bernie Weatherhead who is a pretty big player in the tourism industry and does on Sugar Cane Club among other things (just acquired St. James Travel back last year and brought them into his Going Places empire.. owns Adventureland tours, at least one car rental company etc etc).

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Wow that is news!

I am going down to Barbados in 2 weeks staying at Time Out At The Gap. wondering if am I going to be in troubles... wondering if the hotel would treat customer like crap after the take over. :(

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Apparently, as part of the government-subsidized GEMS operation, they already were treating customers like crap. According to this article, new ownership will fire the rude and lazy staff and then hire workers who realize their job is dependent upon their performance:

http://tinyurl.com/3d65o7g

More background on the sale:

http://tinyurl.com/44doucj

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

I agree with Mr. Bpfife! They are indeed already treating customers like crap! I've had more than one unpleasant experience with the management and staff of Savannah. The change can only be a good thing IMHO.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Wow, government intervention into the the private sector was a failure? ...didn't see that coming.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

Check out ' Escape at the Gap barbados ' on Facebook

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

yes escape at the gap is closing end of nov, big shame but they have taken over 2 other hotels time out at the gap and savanah beach

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Escape at the Gap closing ?

yes unfortunatly escape at the gap is closing end nov , but i believe they have leased time out and savanah beach so we should see the great escape staff between these 2 hotels and waves