We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange in Barbados

South Shields
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange in Barbados

Hi everyone

We are going to Barbados in 2 weeks time and don't know whether to take GBP and change money there or get money changed into US Dollars in the UK?

Does anyone know what the current exchange rate for GBP is in Barbados? Do they charge you interest to get it changed and does the exchange rate change on different amounts?

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

I take a small amount of US and B $'s then just use the ATM when I get there for B$'s.

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

Hi Maria

I always take GBP otherwise you are paying two lots of exchange rates. Take a few US$ and B$ to see you through for taxis etc. Perhaps also take a low charge Visa Card like Nationwide (1%) and some others. Not Barclaycard as their charges are expensive.

The link below gives the daily exchange rate (to-day 3.229 B$ to £), I'm not aware of any charges on the exchange as I think that's included in the rate.

http://www.centralbank.org.bb/

Have a great holiday.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

Easiest way is just bring good old british pounds all the banks give the same rate and rates change daily from Central Bank. Good rate at present!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

If you go to www.centralbankbarbados.org.bb you can check the rates given for yourself. No commission charged. Don't forget to take your passport with you when your changing your money they will want to see that.

South Shields
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

Thank you very much! We will take a few dollars for the taxi and get the rest of the money changed there :)

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

The best rate for US$ is in the UK …...buy in advance via your bank ,one of the on line dealers or at a high street exchange ...you cannot buy them in Barbados. Do not buy at the airport!!!

You do not pay 2 lots of exchange rates as the US$ can be used in Barbados at a fixed rate of 2.00/1.98

There is no interest charge on transactions in Barbados Banks ... there is also no commission ...they build their profit into the rate

There is no rate difference on the amount that you are likely to change as a tourist

I proved in April 2010 ...see here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k36…

....that the exchange rate (after a 1% fee on my Nationwide Debit Card) was as good if not slightly better that the rate for GB£ cash. This might not be the case if your debit card has a higher fee

ATMs also mean no queues at a bank

Debit cards are also much more secure than carrying cash ....amounts you can claim via most travel insurance have a maximum

7. Re: Currency Exchange in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 17:17