We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking, bike hire and safety

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Walking, bike hire and safety

Hi, Husband and I are staying at Hilton Barbados in Feb next year. How easy or far is it to walk from there to Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap etc Also how safe is it to walk around? Am also thinking about bike hire to see the island, is this also an easily available option? Any info gratefully received

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

Walking - From the Hilton to Bridgetown isn't a problem. 15 - 20min depending on your speed into Bridgetown proper. You may choose to walk the beach as sidewalks are at a premium, but motorist should be able to go around you.

I wouldn't advise the walk to St. Lawrence Gap it's much further.

While Barbados isn't mountainous, but unless you are fit, I would recommend biking either. maybe along the south coast road, but then you have to also deal with the traffic. Safety really isn't that big of an issue, but the roads are wide and the lack of sidewalks can be an issue.

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

Thanks for that, when you say the walk to St Lawrence is much further, how many miles are you talking?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

It is probably about 2 miles and about 2/3 of this can be done along the beach. So during the day you could walk if you are "good walkers".. However, the Gap is really a nighttime destination and I would not recommend walking to the Gap at night.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

Biking? I cycle quite a bit and I definitely do not cycle in Barbados for the following reasons. The roads are very narrow without any shoulder to escape to safety if necessary. Due to the cane fields visibility on curves and corners is quite limited. Plus the speed at which some people drive is a factor which includes trucks and buses that take up a full lane and often over into the opposing lane. There have been frequent and numerous bicycle fatalaties.

However that said, there are locals who cycle quite a bit and even they admit it's a challenge. From a physical perspective, if you're not just a once and a while cyclist then there are challenging hills that would be quite enjoyable. Barbados is definitely not a bike friendly place.

I now and again walk from the Gap area to Carlisle Bay and back both along the beach and the sidewalks. It doesn't take long about 45 minutes depending on the pace, so it's quite doable. Just bring good walking shoes and a bottle or two of water.

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

Thanks for info everyone, I usually walk anything between 5 and 8 miles a day at home, so walking rather than cycling sounds like the favourable option after reading about the lack of bike friendly roads etc.

I appreciate your replies

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

just wanted to let you know that my recent guest house mates were avid cyclists...in fact. they brought their bikes with them. they cycled every day and while it was challenging, they definitely enjoyed it. they biked from st. lawrence gap to the crane and had intended to go to bathsheba but the rain got in the way. they went every day if they could (weather) and also ran. they did the marathon from b'town to oistins and went out every day running. if you're adventurous, give it a go but if you're nervous, give it a pass.

GEM
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

I went biking with a group of locals a few years ago. It was fun but I must say they are brave souls.

8. Re: Walking, bike hire and safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 07:20