We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Crane - location, safety, etc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
The Crane - location, safety, etc

Hi all. I was thinking of staying at the Crane for a few days in July. I am a female traveling solo and other posts seem like it would be safe but just wanted to check if other female solo travelers have stayed in this area.

It's my 1st time to Barbados so I'm not sure what to expect, though I do live in NY and have been to Paris, London, Japan, etc solo so I'm fairly comfortable with solo travel. But is it advisable?

Also, since it is my 1st time to Barbados and this hotel, will I need a car? for 5 days, probably a trip to the grocery is a good idea? Is it possible to get along w/o a car? To sights and town, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info/help you can provide. I really really need to get away so hoping this is the right trip for me :)

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

The Crane is beautiful, but it's also far away from things. You would definitely need a car to easily get around from this location. Some of the buildings have problems with very little a/c. It's hot in July and coming from NYC you would need a/c. The pools are beautiful. The beach is gorgeous, but very strong undertows - so great to look at, but you probably won't be in the sea much. It is very safe.

You might want to consider another location to be closer to things & still have a great place to stay. The west coast has some great options like: Treasure Beach, The Sandpiper, Coral Reef Club, and our favorite, Cobblers Cove. Both The Sandpiper and Coral Reef Club are walkable (5-10 minutes) into Holetown where there are shops and lots of nice restaurants including the new Limegrove Center with high end shops. You might enjoy having all of this close to you.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

First of all on the safety question, Barbados is ( in my opinion) safer than NY, Paris & London as long as you take the normal precautions.

The Crane is an absolutely fabulous chill out resort however it is away from the main areas of population and as such restaurants, tourist attractions etc. In the circumstances if you were to choose the Crane and wanted to do any sight seeing you would require a car. Should you simply want to chill out for 5 days, this will be perfect for you. You have the choice of 3 restaurants on site and a smaller, local style food ( and cheaper) restaurant just outside the main gate. The cooking facilities in the rooms are excellent. There is a grocery store on site with limited food but there is a supermarket close by which you could easily reach by taxi should you want to avoid car rental) There is a good and cheap bus service which goes past the front gate.

There is a bar open in the evening (although it is not very lively). Ensure you stay over a Monday night and you can enjoy the Managers cocktail party (excellent rum punch) and meet some other guests.

The pools and outside living area is fantastic. The beach is out of this world. As the Crane is on the Atlantic coast the waves are rough however the sea is perfectly safe to swim in.

I would not recommend driving at night ( remember it gets dark very early and quickly). You wouldn't want to get lost in the dark and you can be subject to pot holes!

Taking everything into account I dont see why the Crane would not be the perfect place for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

Thank you for the feedback! My main goal is definitely to get away from it all and unplug. I'm not looking to party though meeting a few nice people to have a drink with isn't a bad thing.

As for driving...I'm not fond of it here in the US so I think I will try to avoid it there as well. Driving on the other side than what I'm used to probably isn't a good idea for someone who doesn't like to drive at all. Haha. But I can do it if needed.

I think this is the trip for me. Thank you!

New York
Level Contributor
484 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

As a woman, who owns at The Crane and has been there a number of times, I think it's a very good choice for you. In addition to going with my husband, I also spend a "Girls' Week" with a few girlfriends each year. In terms of safety, put your mind completely at ease at The Crane.

Yes, it is far away from most restaurants and nightlife, but the restaurants that are there are quite good. If I were alone, I would not rent a car. It would be too difficult to drive on the narrow (potholed) roads while reading a map. There is a taxi stand at The Crane and there are always taxis available. For the times you want to go somewhere, the cost of taxis will balance off the cost of a car rental. Also, there is a small grocery store at The Crane and I had heard that they were planning to expand it.

If Lois's comment has made you concerned about a/c, ask for a unit in Building 5, 8 or 9.

Dunnedg's suggestion that you stay over a Monday for the coktail party is a great one. If you can start your week on a Sunday, you will meet people at the beginning of your trip. Also, people at the pools are very friendly and you may meet some people there, as well. I am a pool person while my husband is a beach person and normally he swims at the beach every day when we are there. It is not often that the undertow or waves are too dangerous to swim.

The Crane is beautiful and you will love it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

Thanks so much for the info, NYSbeachgirl. My dates are Thurs - Tues so I'll be able to check out the party on Monday night...hopefully a great way to end my vacation :)

I will ask about the A/C. I have rented a 1BR w/ plunge pool so not sure if that ,makes any difference. (I decided to splurge a little on this trip, as you can see.) The rates are quite good right now due to the low season I suppose. The tip about taxis vs rental is very good. Again, I'm so used to just jumping in a cab, it's not a big deal. I will be sure to stock up at the grocery a little as well.

I'm very excited about The Crane and Barbados in general. I read that there is a shuttle that takes you to town as well. If there are any other activities you guys want to recommend, please let me know.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

I am sure you will enjoy the Crane. An appt with a plunge pool will certainly give you plenty of space and an ocean view. There is an issue with AC, there is no getting away from it. They are working on things however I am afraid nothing moves fast in Barbados. We have an appt on 3rd floor in building 5 and and never use the AC. We enjoy having the doors open to enjoy the fresh Atlantic breeze. There is a fan above the bed and that is fine at night.

The shuttle to Bridgetown is I believe only once a week and I have a feeling it is Thursday so you may miss out. It is operated by Cave Shepherd who have a large department store in Bridgetown and a small store at the Crane. You can however get the bus to Bridgetown, right outside the door of the Crane for BDS$2 each way. To be honest there is not much to see in Bridgetown.

On Friday night you may want to consider going to Oistens for the fish fry. The Crane can arrange a van at a reasonable cost. Just local people who fry up very fresh fish from huts at the main fishing village with music and craft stalls. Great buzz and very good cheap food. On Sunday there is the gospel breakfast at the Crane. 2 sittings 9.00 & 10.00. You have to book in advance. Alternatively they have a Bajan Brunch on the Sunday with steel drums etc .

A great favourite is the Catamaran trip when you swim with turtles. They operate 7 days a week. There are many companies who do this and they will pick up and drop off at the Crane. My favourite is Cool Runnings and the concierge will book this and all other suggestions for you. You are not in Barbados for very long and you did say you wanted to chill so that might be enough for you. Some Saturdays there is horse racing at Garrison Savannah. (google it for dates) That could be fun and again you can get a bus outside the gate or a taxi wouldn't cost much.

Enjoy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

Great suggestions Dunnedg!! Thanks so much. I do want to check out Oistens & the Catamaran. I'm not one for horse races so I'll likely skip that :)

Kind of playing it by ear on this trip, which is a bit unlike me. There's some rain in the forecast so I'm thinking a little spa time will be nice. Can anyone speak on the spa at the Crane or another one I can travel to that would be good?

New York
Level Contributor
484 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

I haven't used the spa at The Crane. I heard it was expensive, but I have no idea what spas elsewhere in Barbados charge and, it is right where you are staying, so that gets some points.

The Crane does a trip through Cool Runnings, but I think it is on Wednesdays. I'm sure they have other days if you call them. We have gone on The Rubaiyat several times and really liked it - 436-6921.

Another idea for one day would be to hire a driver (with the money you save by not renting a car) and have him take you around the island. You should see the east side of the island, which is rustically beautiful with huge waves. I have seen a number of drivers' names and numbers recommended here in the Forum. I have not used one, but I saved this in case -

"Great taxi driver - Ricky Jones, he has a new Lexus with great A/C and knows all about the island - email is rickyjones70@hotmail.com. His Barbados phone is 246-432-5288."

Here are others that I found when I searched -

tripadvisor.com/…31673390

tripadvisor.com/…11173535

If you do hire a driver, see if he can stop at Hunte's Gardens. It is a really beautiful garden owned by a gentleman named Anthony Hunte. If you only go to one garden, this is the one and bring a camera.

I'm getting jealous that our next trip to Barbados is not until November.

Enjoy!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

Totally agree with Huntes Gardens if you have the time, especially if you are able to sit down to 'tea' with Anthony. A stop off at StNicholas Abbey is also to be recommended. You will get a turtle trip with Cool Runnings any day from The Crane although they have special deal on a Wednesday saving US$5. To be fair whilst I favour CR I have not heard a bad report about any of the Cat trips although some such as Tiami have more passengers on board than others.

We will be at the Crane in July and I have been in contact with guest services this week to check on one or two things. Return trip to Oistens arranged via the Crane is US$12 @ 6.30 or 7.30 with the return pick up 3 hours later. Gospel breakfast times are now 8.30 and 10.00. You can prebook these by e-mail.

Afraid we have not used the Spa. Too busy lying on a bed on the beach! As NYSbeachgirl says I understand it is expensive but the feedback I have had has been complimentary.

Re the rain, ignore the forecast. Rain is forecast almost every day, but it could last from 1 minute to a whole day or not at all. Although the island is very small the rain can be very localised.

Regards

10. Re: The Crane - location, safety, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:16