We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

MPLS, MN
2 posts
Save Topic
Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

I am going to barbados for the first time for our honeymoon and am looking at some hotels on the south coast. What is the best hotel on the beach that is within walking distance to the restaurants, bars and shops. I am not looking into ai, but we would like to eat more of local fare.

I have narrowed it down to Accra beach hotel and bougainvillea unless someone can recommended somthing else in the area.

Also how far of walk is it from Accra beach to st. lawrence gap area?

Is one area better for doing excursions? In our 7 day vacation We will probably do a cruise one day, maybe some snorkeling and possible renting a car one day to explore. The rest would be spent on the beach.

Thanks in advance for info and comments.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

JTrevor

Accra wins this one for me. It's set on one of the best beaches on the island, near to several bars and restaurants as well. Really excellent location.

The Gap would be about 15 mins walk south from Accra by my estimation....I always drive that road but never walked it.

Both are equal for excursions, but there's much more to do at Accra.

Regards

Edited: 12 July 2011, 19:50
Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

As a hotel the Bougainvillea is a better choice for me, it is set in a quiet road however it does not have many restaurants and bars within walking distance. We had friend stay at the Accra they had a really lovely ocean front room with a jacuzzi. However I would not want an island view room facing the car park & road. So hopefully one of the Ocean front rooms is within your budget.

You could look at an Ocean View room at Southern Palms this is in the the Gap but at the quieter end so just a few minutes walk to the bars & restaurants.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

I think Accra (only the oceanfront rooms as the previous poster mentioned) in terms of being able to walk to a few things. I think you can even walk to Champers - one of the best restaurants on the island.

Bougainvillea Beach is lovely and we stay there a lot, but it's on a road off the main (Maxwell Coast), and that area is quiet - nothing much to walk to. Although it's close to the Gap, due to the narrow roads and lots of traffic, I would not recommend that. A taxi would be about $5 - $7 to get there.

Southern Palms is on a nice beach and away from the noise in the Gap, but you can easily walk into the Gap from this hotel.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

LoisInsiderTips

You're absolutely correct. The ocean view rooms are the ones to yearn for... unless you like watching traffic of course :D

Regards

MPLS, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

Thanks everyone, I will look into the ocien view rooms at Accra and the south palms hotel as well.

JTrevor.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

Bougainvillea has the better beach and it's proximity between Oistens and the Gap would be my choice. The Accra area has some very good restaurants within walking distance but I don't like the traffic and congestion in that area.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

We just got back from staying at Accra, and I appreciated the accessibility to a lot of different little shops and restaurants. We did walk to Champers one night (be sure to do that) and Tapas on another night (which was just down the boardwalk from Accra). I thought the beach was excellent, and definitely made use of the complimentary chairs at the hotel. We too had to decide between Bougainvillea and Accra, and I'm happy with the decision we made.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 21:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

I'm currently at Bougainvillea and stayed at Accra a few years ago. At the time it was a lovely hotel. The main difference for me is that where Bougainvillea is set on a quiet road Accra is in a very lively area. There's not that much to see in the immediate area around Bougainvillea where as Accra is in easy walking distance to lots of restaurants and Hastings. You can walk along the boardwalk for a breath taking view of the sea or the main road for shops and restaurants. There is also a new mall - Laterns - within walking distance to Accra. Also personally, I prefer Accra beach to Maxwell each. And, Cheffette, my favourite fast food joint in B'dos is more or less opposite Accra beach.

All that said, Bougainvillea is a nice hotel as well. We just had lunch from a lunch van which pulls up in front the hotel daily - yummy.

9. Re: Accra beach hotel vs. Bougainvillea hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 04:19