We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

Have to go on vacation in Feb next year. So, I thought lets go someplace really far south where the water is warm. Barbados has about the prettiest water I have ever seen. Only been there one day on a cruise ship and did a snorkel with the turtles. Have not really started doing my research, but was wondering if any one on the forum had a recommendation for an all inclusive resort that has snorkeling from the shore and offers diving??

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

Snorkeling in an option that's available at some hotels. Diving is usually done through a dive shop. There are a number of them that have links to hotels and everything is close, so finding a hotel with snorkeling would be the first thing and then finding a dive shop second.

Best snorkeling is on the West Coast or Carlisle Bay. Suggest you take a look at hotels on the left side of the page that should get you started. The Hilton would probably be the best place as it's next door to Carlisle Bay and there's a couple of dive shops near by.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

Almond Beach club,but they do not offer diving, Fairmont Royal Pavillion,lots of turtles just off the Lone star resturant,Royal Pavillion is not all inclusive but offer diving.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

All of the dive shops will come and pick you up and drop you off here so as Canby says choose your location and then pick a dive shop. What's your budget? does it have to be all-inc?

I have done shore diving from Almond Beach Village many years ago (like 20) when it was Heywoods Resort - not sure that would be possible now. There are 3-4 dive shops in the Carlisle Bay area and it is possible to snorkel and dive from shore there although most operators will take you out on a boat anyway. Carlisle Bay is on the South of the island just outside of Bridgetown, the Capital.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 02:23
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

AstridWilson

IMHO, Carlisle Bay is our #1 snorkelling site on the island and has Scary has pointed out, there are 3-4 dive shops in that area. For Carlisle Bay, I would recommend you take a look at Hilton Barbados. I would recommend booking a room with the buffet breakfast included. That way you can spend your days and nights outside the hotel trying out some of our wonderful restaurants

On the West Coast, Folkestone provides a great snorkelling zone as well. I would recommend you look at the Waves Resort (AI) for this area. If not, Colony Club is much closer but isn't AI.

I personally think depending on how much time you'll spend daily with other activities, it might be prudent to just have one meal such as breakfast included which would allow you greater flexibility.

Regards

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

Ok, so Hilton Barbados - is the snorkeling great right off shore?? Agree, we can dive from other hotels, but want a hotel or resort that offers great snorkeling right from the beach and our budget is good.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

No, not right off the beach. You have to cross the parking lot/grassy area and go onto Carlisle Bay.

Otherwise I'd go to Mango Bay, Sandpiper, Coral Reef or what Jetskiman suggested.

The two best sites are Carlisle Bay near the Hilton or Folkstone Marine Park which is just next door to Sandpiper, you just swim out to the right and over to the park.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

The snorkelling is also good off Heywoods beach so you may consider Port St Charles.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

AstridWilson

Canby is correct.

I think Hilton Barbados will your bill perfectly for this venture.

Regards

Edited: 30 July 2011, 17:47
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

Astrid,

If you go to Google Earth, bring up Barbados really close you'll find the Hilton/Needhams Point and Carlisle Bay and it will be clear.

You can do the samw for Folkstone Park.

10. Re: all inclusive resort - snorkeling from the shore & Diving??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:16