We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of dining out

northants
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
cost of dining out

we are thinking of going room only could you advise of cost for daily spending pls

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of dining out

timmt002

Dining out in Barbados has a very wide spectrum when it comes to cost. You can get a three course (starter, main, dessert) + glass of wine for $70 USD per person easily at many restaurants. You could also pay $120 USD for the same at others so it depends on the type of restaurants you go to.

IMHO, I would say get breakfast included in your rate. Budget $25 USD per person for lunch and $70 USD per person for dinner. This will give you quite a bit.

Regards

Edited: 07 August 2011, 17:04
Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of dining out

or you could go to shakers on the south coast and get a great meal for well under $30 usd!!!(this will also include some drinks! meals range fro $12usd-$20usd for steak.)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of dining out

BAJANT

Out of curiosity, what type of steak does Shakers sell for $20 USD?

All the steak I've eaten in restaurants in Barbados has ranged between $32.50 USD and $42.50 USD. USDA certified cuts such as tenderloins, sirloins and flatiron.

Regards

Edited: 07 August 2011, 18:49
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of dining out

I think that if you go for "posh" meals then you will pay the prices genetic has given. If you want something more mid-range then you will find plenty of cheaper options.

Do you know yet if you will be on the west or south coast? There will be plenty of reasonably priced restaurants whichever coast you choose.

Edited: 07 August 2011, 18:57
Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of dining out

Hi timmyt, You can certainly eat at higher end restaurants, or, you can eat fairly cheaply.

When we go to Barbados we save money by cooking a lot of our meals......we shop for our groceries at Big B Supermarket. You can also get prepared foods eg, fish, chicken, macaroni pie, rice and peas, at Big B's.....big portions, tasty, and quite cheap too!!

You can also buy good food from the many vans and street vendors, which is very affordable.

There are a good few restaurants where you can eat, that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. I know... because this is what we do. Some examples are....Shakers, Ackee Tree, Berts, Just Grilling....

As I previously mentioned, you can eat out at the many high end, wonderful restaurants too, but, your money won't go nearly as far!!

Sorry, don't know exactly what we spend per day, but it is certainly less than $200.00 a day.

Good luck!!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of dining out

Yes doing some self catering can help with cutting costs. If you want hotel facilities with some kitchen facilities then on the south coast you could look at Bougainvillea, Coconut Court, Coral Mist/Blue Orchid, Pirates Inn to name but a few.

We find it very affordable to do our own breakfast and lunch then eat out in the evenings.

On balance I find the cost of shopping for food in Barbados in BigB is similar to here in the UK - some things are dearer there and some cheaper but overall it seems to work out the same.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of dining out

To give you an idea here are two links. The first is a trip report of our most recent visit and there are some prices there that might help.

The second link is for Shakers reviews a very unpretentious, totally enjoyable place with great food at very reasonable prices.

Yes as previously asked it would be good to know where you intend to stay, at least west coast or south coast and then the recommendations could be more specific.

Barbados as mentioned has a full range of restaurants at all price points.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k46313…

Shakers Reviews tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g666622-d17…

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of dining out

i could be wrong ,but i am pretty sire the steak at shakers are ny strips...$34 bajan with potato and salad, as well....check it out, you wont be disappointed!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of dining out

BAJANT

It's actually top on my list of new eateries to try. That and Blakeys.

I've never seen American steak so cheap in Barbados. I look forward to it.

Regards

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of dining out

geneticsniper,

beware of long waits for your food at blakeys...has to be by FAR the slowest service i have seen on the island...and i have tried it 4 times,just to give them a chance! if you go, go at lunch...much faster then!