We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie, need advice!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie, need advice!

Hello Barbados board,

Never been to the island before. I am going to be spending a week in the Grenadines, and it looks like the easiest path for me to get there is to go through Barbados, then take LIAT (hold my breath) to SVD.

Since I have never been, why not spend a full day or two exploring the island? I would like to stay somewhere near the airport that is inexpensive. Its just myself, so cleanliness is all I need.

Looking for recommendations on where to stay, a days worth of activities (snorkel, hiking, etc) and any other advice fellow travelers/locals can share.

Thanks so much!

Tim

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie, need advice!

Welcome to the forum.

Okay, Barbados isn't big so you're close to everything. I suggest a place in the St.Lawrence Gap area such as Southern Palms, others will soon give some good recommendations also.

Also for things to do just take a look on the left side fo the page at "Things To Do" and see what you find that interests you, there are 111 recommendations.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie, need advice!

Yes I would agree that The Gap area would be a good place for a solo first time visitor and Southern Palms is a good choice. Not sure what your budget would be or your likes/dislikes so it would help to know that. There are other hotels like Rostrevor and Yellow Bird which may appeal; also apartment complexes varying from large eg Oceans 2 and Sapphire Beach to smaller (and in my view nicer) ones like Maresol. There are guest houses too - just depends what you want really.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie, need advice!

stltim1979

Southern Palms, Rostrevor and Yellow Bird are all great places to stay in the St. Lawrence Gap area. This zone would be perfect for a short trip to the island.

For things to do in Barbados:

Visit Harrison's Cave

Dive on the Atlantis Submarine

Visit the Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Take a Catamaran Cruise on Cool Runnings

Visit the Barbados Concorde Experience

Take a 4x4 Adventureland Island Tour

Visit Cherry Tree Hill for breath-taking views of the island

Gun Hill Signal Station is also fantastic

If you're into history, visit Sunbury Great House, also a great place for having lunch

Do visit www.totallybarbados.com where you'll find a wealth more of attractions/sights worthy of visiting!

Have a great time!

Regards

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie, need advice!

Thanks guys! I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, no more than 150 a night. It will just be a place for shower and to lay my head. In terms of interests, I prefer to either be in the water (diving, snorkeling, fishing) or sitting on the beach/tiki bar drinking rum.

Genetic, this is exactly what I am looking for. I do not know the island at all, and its actually quite large compared to what I am used to. STJ is only 25 sq miles and it takes 45 minutes to cross. Looks like Barbados is over 150 sq miles. I am wanting to stay as close to the aiport w/o compromising the ability to do the above activities.

Again, thanks to those who have replied. This is helping me so much with my planning!

Tim

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie, need advice!

stltim1979

You're correct. Barbados is 166 sq miles. I would say it takes about one hour to drive from South Point to North Point. From the West Coast it takes about 35-40 mins to drive to the East Coast (coast to coast).

You're welcome!

Regards

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie, need advice!

You should be able to find plenty of accommodation for less than $150 - check out www.shoestringbarbados.com lots of places there....

You could also check out Rostrevor in the Gap, Yellow Bird, Dover Beach Hotel.

Sarah

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie, need advice!

OK, another question. My flight gets in around 950. Will there be taxis to take me to the Gap area? Again, I am basing my experience on the virgins, and they typically shut down around 10 PM...

Thanks!

Tim

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie, need advice!

There will be taxis available until the last flight which is way after yours. There's a taxi supervisor just as you exit go to that person, tell them where you want to go and ask how much and you'll get the fare. Plus there's a board with the fares on them in Barbados dollars. Taxis are fixed rates depending where you go, they're government regulated.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie, need advice!

stltim1979

Taxis are available at that time. The taxi operators know exactly when flights will arrive/depart and are always there at those times.

I'm assuming you're arriving on AA651 from MIA. I take this flight quite often and they are always taxis available outside the Arrivals Hall. This flight is always the last International Flight to arrive at BGI and then they're a few Regional flights which arrive all by 11pm normally. In fact last winter, AA651 arrived at 11:50pm, but AA has changed this schedule recently for 2011/12 to 9:55pm.

Regards

Edited: 21 August 2011, 14:38
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie, need advice!

Whats the customs process like? Roughly any idea on the amount of time via taxi to Rostrevor Hotel? And, should I exchange some USD given that I will only be on island 1.5 days? If so, can I get the appropriate currency as well for the other islands I will be visiting? One last q, diving. I will be doing plenty of diving and snorkeling in the Grenadines. Is it worthwhile here, or should I spend my time on land/beach exploring?

Thank you guys so much. Enjoy your Sunday!

Tim