We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

I am going to Almond Beach village Barbados ina week's time. I am confused by the widely differing reviews on Trip Advisor.

Is the beach nice and can you go stright into the sea without too many rocks?

Is it really overrun with cats?

Do you really need long trousers for dinner?

Anybody been recently who can help me decide whether to switch hotels or not, would be helpful.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

surfsupScotland

The beach there is fantastic. I go there all the time. It's very wide and not crowded. You can even walk across (5 mins) in front Port St. Charles and use the beach there where no rocks are present at all in the water. In fact, my profile picture is on the beach at PSC.

It is not overrun with cats. You may see a small number lingering around, but it certainly isn't overrun. I have two friends who work there and have told me nothing could be farther from the truth.

You only need long trousers for La Smaritta, the formal restaurant. This isn't a requirement for Horizon, Enids or the Reef.

I've personally stayed there twice and found it to be a great resort. It's not the best on the island and is in need of some renovations in certain areas. I would recommend you e-mail the hotel and ask for a room in Block 7 which is only 5 years old. This is right on the beach and the newest block on the hotel. The food in general is good and having 4 restaurants to choose from gives you great choice.

As my island's largest resort, (400 rooms), some guests are likely to have an indifferent experience. However, on TripAdvisor alone, the hotel has 1,445 reviews with an average of 3.5-4 stars, which, IMHO, is very good for so many reviews. Always remember some people will write a bad review simply because the rain fell or because they didn't get a particular room etc. That doesn't take away from the quality of service offered by staff.

I personally wouldn't switch hotels at this stage. If you however aren't pleased with what you encounter, ask to be transferred to the Almond Casurina which is on the south coast.

Have a great time in Barbados!

Regards

Edited: 20 August 2011, 10:22
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

I would agree with Genetic see what you think when you get there. The beach is great as are the water sports. Just make sure you check your room before you accept it.

You could always do a bit of plane spotting as the UK flights pass over ABV. However if you really like plane spotting Casuarina would be a better spot.

Enjoy!

scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

Thanks for that. Will sleep a bit easier!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

surfsupScotland

You're welcome.

Regards

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
772 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

I just spent one night there, they have no beach, you have to walk down to sandy lane, they have a dress code, the place is bad, the rooms are old, the place is empty, do not go there, i was told by locals this place is closing down, stay away, they will ruin your vacation

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

millerb

Almond Beach Village and Almond Beach Club are two different hotels. ABV is at least 20 minutes drive away from Sandy Lane...

You have to be careful with the comments you're making as Almond has three different hotels in Barbados.

In addition, none of the Almond Resorts properties are closing down so I'm not quite sure which locals could have told you that. I know persons who have stays booked there throughout Winter 2011/2012.

Regards

Edited: 20 August 2011, 13:44
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
772 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

the workers at the Almond said a large Hotel chain is buying out the Almond, it will happen with in the next few months

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

millerb

Complete conjecture. No offcial annoucement has been made about the sale or closure of any Almond property in Barbados. I'm not one to ascribe to mere conjecture..

Regards

Edited: 20 August 2011, 13:57
Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

i too, have heard through BTA sources that the hotels are being sold to an MAERCIAN chain...i doubt it is simply "conjecture",genetic sniper.....i would not recommend either almond properties...sorry

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almond Beach Village: to go or not to go!

BAJANT

That opinion and conclusion was formed on the basis of incomplete information. In other words, it is conjecture.

If and when the Board of Directors has announced that the hotels are being sold, so be it. I don't think it is wise to spread conjecture for millions of people around the world to see. As someone who purports to have worked for the Barbados Tourism Authority, you should know better.

Regards